cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Broadband: "your internet signal is unstable"

DC241066
Joining in

Hi all

Been with VM for many years, and I've been having issues with the broadband service for the past 6 or so months. Overall it's good - but about once an hour it drops out for 30-40 seconds. When on business zoom calls (I work from home) I get the pop-up message "your internet signal is unstable". I have the Volt M500 broadband, decent up/download speeds, relatively new router and mesh pods around the house which all work fine. 

When these drop outs occur it affects all devices in all rooms - so whilst I 'freeze' on the zoom call, my son's gaming console does the same and he's effectively thrown out of the game he's playing. It's very frustrating as it doesn't appear to be regular i.e. approximately once an hour, not at specific times/days.  When I've spoken to VM on this issue they always advise "your signal has been checked and it's strong" - which it is 99.5% of the time - but not 100%. I can't see how it could be a system issue with my hardware...

Is there anything I can do for this? I pay a lot for the broadband, phone and tv bundle, don't really want to change ISP, but it drives me mad.  Any advice from the VM community would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Try disabling the "Smart Optimisation" on both the Wifi bands.  This function can, and does, move the Wifi signal from one channel to another, in an effort to be smart.  This jumping around causes network disconnects whilst doing so.  However if you have any VM Pods, then you can't do this as the Pods need it on to work.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub.

Setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Try disabling the "Smart Optimisation" on both the Wifi bands.  This function can, and does, move the Wifi signal from one channel to another, in an effort to be smart.  This jumping around causes network disconnects whilst doing so.  However if you have any VM Pods, then you can't do this as the Pods need it on to work.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub.

Setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks