cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im not getting 1gbs

innesuk
Tuning in

I recently upgraded to 1gbs from 350mbs. On every device I've tested, I'm getting between 750-800mbs which is obviously fast but not the full 1gbs (20/25% less). I have tried my iphonne 14Pro which is wifi 6 compliment and had it next to the router and got 750 but sometimes less. I plugged in my laptop via ethernet and got the same result. I also plugged in my desktop with a different ethernet cable and still only getting 750/800. Ethernet cables were Cat6 and Cat7.

Is there anything in the hub5 settings I need to change to see if I can get the full 1gbs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @innesuk 

I'm on Gig1 with the hub 5 and have my PC connected via ethernet cable to port 4 (labelled 2.5GBps) I actually bought a Wifi6 ethernet adapter from Amazon as my PC's network card was only Wifi5 Gig1 and I wanted to get higher speeds.  Without my adapter I was normally getting around 780

I can see different results running the samknows speed tests through different browsers on my desktop computer.

In fact I can run 3 speed tests on the same browser, one adfter another, and the speeds can vary by around 100/150 Mbps.

I find measuring using Edge seems to show higher speeds than the other browers. 

I've also noticed that the Windows Ookla app always gives me a higher speed than measuring using ookla's speedtest.net via a browser. Screenshots below.

bravebravechromechromeedgeedgefirefoxfirefoxookla appookla app

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Seeing 750/800 Mb/s at one device is a very positive sign, remember the speed VM offer is intended for a home with several devices working smoothly doing real tasks - not one exhausting all available bandwidth on a speed test.

You don't mention which VM Hub you have so it is not possible to know if Wi-Fi 6 is present.

Via a 1Gb/s network connection 930Mb/s is about the very best one sees & a CAT 5e cable is fine.

Use the link below to test the service to your Hub and then to see what your devices draw.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

Once the test begins click on: Run full test to include: Latency, Jitter, Packet loss & Upload speed

The speed at the Hub should reflect your subscription.

Do share a screen shot of the Full Test for discussion.

I believe its a Hub5x. Virgin sent me a new one. I was on Just Hub5.

I've ran the full test and the Hub side of things says it's getting the full 1gbs but the download is reporting 240mbs which is at odds with the 750 I'm getting with speedtest.net. I ran the tests several times. 

What I may try next is disabling wifi and unplugging all ethernet devices bar this one and run those test again,
RS1.png

ST2.png

ST1.png

RS2.png

Here are the results with WiFi switched off and only the computer plugged into the Router with a Cat7 cable.

Pretty much the same results. A couple of times it came up with a router error. Maybe I had upset with so many modem speed test. I refreshed the page and it worked.

ST4.pngRS3.pngRS4.pngST3.pngRouter error.png

Here are the results from my laptop using a Cat5c cable. Wifi is off. Again, it's looking pretty consistent. I am not sure why Real Speed Test is showing my speed this low though. When I run Speedtest.net its 750mb.

rst laptop.PNGst cat 5c laptop1.PNG

here is a screen shot from iPhone 14 Pro. Obviously wifi is back on. I am about 30cm away from the router. Pretty consistent results with different machines and cables (or not in the iPhone example). The router is wifi 6 as it has a sticker on the side saying so.

thumbnail_Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 19.16.11.png

Is this a true reading of 1gbs then? usually, I've always hit the designated speed or slightly over when I had the 150, then 300 and then 300mbs plans.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @innesuk 

I'm on Gig1 with the hub 5 and have my PC connected via ethernet cable to port 4 (labelled 2.5GBps) I actually bought a Wifi6 ethernet adapter from Amazon as my PC's network card was only Wifi5 Gig1 and I wanted to get higher speeds.  Without my adapter I was normally getting around 780

I can see different results running the samknows speed tests through different browsers on my desktop computer.

In fact I can run 3 speed tests on the same browser, one adfter another, and the speeds can vary by around 100/150 Mbps.

I find measuring using Edge seems to show higher speeds than the other browers. 

I've also noticed that the Windows Ookla app always gives me a higher speed than measuring using ookla's speedtest.net via a browser. Screenshots below.

bravebravechromechromeedgeedgefirefoxfirefoxookla appookla app

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Client62
Alessandro Volta

If your Desktop PC maxes out at 739 Mb/s that is hardly going to make it lag during your next Tesco order !

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your Hub 5 is getting the full speeds down and up that you are paying for.

How you use those speeds on your side of the Hub is your own problem - particularly over WiFi to your phone. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thanks New Apollo. Yes it looks like you're right. Edge is faster and the App is faster again. Got 940mbs out of the windows app. I'll keep monitoring it.

ST app.png