cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5X XG-PON Questions

SuperWeeble
Tuning in

Hi everyone, 

New to Virginmedia and I have a 1Gbs FTTP install planned at the end of the month. My street was dug up by Virgin this year with green fibre cables installs and chat agent confirmed I will be supplied a 5X hub. Seems info on the 5X is still thin on the ground so I thought I'd ask a few questions.

1. As of September has anyone got modem mode to work on the 5X or are we still awaiting a firmware upgrade?

2. The WAN fibre port, does anyone know the spec of the patch cable used, is it single or multi-mode?

3. Is the fibre cable hardwired into the terminating box or could I buy a longer fibre patch lead if I ever wanted to re-position the router?

4. Given the 5X is full fibre (no coax / dociss) what are the average ping times people are seeing, is it sub 10mbs? Does anyone have any BQM's to share?

5. What has the general reliability and stability of the router been like?

6. Has anyone used the 10Gbs/2.5Gbs port to harness the full speed above 1Gbs?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Start here....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Superhub-5-amp-5x-Discussion/td-p/5351994

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

SuperWeeble
Tuning in

now i have a XGS-PON connection with a 5X router i can answer my own questions.

1. I’ve tried the modem mode link with an ASUS router and it does not work. Assume we have to wait for a firmware upgrade.

2. The cable is single mode. 

3. In my installation the fibre lead come from the external brown box direct into the router. Some installs show an internal white box. The Virgin engineer did give me an adapter allowing me to extend the fibre lead. You can buy fibre leads cheaply from Amazon and female to female adapters.\

4. My ping is 12ms. Higher than i’d hoped but lower than DOCIS connections locally. I live in North England so this maybe why my ping is not low single digits.

5. The 5X has not crashed and speed has been reliable. 1.1GBs down and 110MBs upload. The only issue i have noticed is the UPNP getting confused with my PS5. Sometimes it does not release the ports when the PS5 is provided a different IP address. I’ve reserved an IP for the PS5 now to avoid this.

6. I am using the 10GBS port connected to a D-LINK switch with a 10gbs uplink. The D-Link has 4x2.5GBS ports allowing my to connect my laptops with a Belkin USB-C 2.5GBS adapter providing my laptop full speed access at 1.1Gbs.

7. I now also have a Virgin Stream box for TV which works very well. Channel flicking is fast without any buffering. Box has frozen once and required a power reset.

Hey SuperWeeble, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear of some of the issues you are facing.

I have taken a look at our side and I can see everything is looking fine how is it for you? Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hey,
Any chnace you could share your Network Status values... pls
I'm having trouble with mine and would like to know if the values are within the required limits. 

Chaddy_v6_0-1705059740197.png

Hello Chaddy_v6

Thanks for raising the questions in regards to your services and Hub5x.

These aren't details we have access to but have reached out to the team who support with these Hubs for assistance and to check if the values provided are what they would expect to see. Is there a reason you are checking these?

Rob