cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 vs Deco Mesh

elfoo
Joining in

I was previously on a Hub3, which had intermittent drop outs so I put it in modem mode and bought a separate router and WiFi 5 system.

I’ve just upgraded to a 1gb line and Hub5, and am wondering if I should give the black Pods a go, or whether I’ll still have intermittent dropouts like before. I definitely need a mesh solution, as the Hub5 alone has dead spots in the house.

Anyone with any experience with the Hub5?

8 REPLIES 8

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

For what my opinion is worth, whatever you do, avoid VM's Pods.  In conjunction with the wretched Connect App, you'll be taken to a new level of aggro.  Your own router, with at least 1G ports and your own mesh system will give you no grief.

Trust me, please!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Sound advice. Limit your exposure to Virgin Media products and services in order to limit the risk to your physical and mental health and wellbeing. 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

Client62
Legend

I would connect the Wi-Fi 5 system that you know works fine.

VM Pods are less welcome at our front door than political candidates.

I would stick with modem mode, router & mesh.

carl_pearce
Community elder

Just keep in mind you'll lose some of your available bandwidth due to the 1Gbps ethernet WAN port between the HUB and your mesh system (So around 940Mbps rather than 1130 (1152 in my experience) Mbps).

That ‘loss’ is no big deal when set against router mode and the stupid WiFi settings you need to disable.  Indeed, who in the community actually takes the ‘full’ bandwidth?

Me, which is why I mentioned it.

You know what the next thread would be... I'm not getting 'full' speed....

legacy1
Alessandro Volta