cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - Periodically losing LAN

chronicbint
On our wavelength

Over the last year my wired connection has been failing on the Hub 5.

The wired connection will just sit at "unidentified network". No amount of reboots or reconnections will fix it.

The only way I have found to resolve this is a factory reset, It then works instantly.

This has happened around 4 or 5 times in the past year.

WiFi remains unaffacted

10 REPLIES 10

Client62
Alessandro Volta

When this occurs next, check the IP details of the non working devices connected to the Hub 5 for symptoms of a Hub 5 in Router mode with DHCP failure.

When the Hub 5 DHCP fails, they have been seen to give out invalid responses to the connected devices.
E.g.a incorrect IP address for the DNS and / or the Gateway.

This may give the impression the Hub 5 is not responding, when in fact it has incorrectly configured your laptop or TV or as a recent case a customers building alarm.  A factory reset may fix this for a while.

For a Hub 5 in modem mode, this issue is not present because the 3rd party router provided the DHCP service.

If you are using the 2.5Gb port it might be network kit struggling to auto-detect/sync the line speed. Try swapping to the 1Gb port. 

I had same symptoms on Hub 5x with the 10Gb port. I remember when 100Base-TX was new having the same problem but we take it forvgrant

So what would a solution be, I did not try renewing the ip address, guess I can try that next time.

I have it connected to a 2.5gb switch, moving to a 1gb port would be annoying!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Client62
Alessandro Volta

As a 2.5Gb/s switch is involved take a read at this thread ... look for the comments about
802.03az (Energy Efficient Ethernet) issues since the recent Hub 5 firmware update.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Hub-5-Firmware-Upgrade/td-p/5480079

chronicbint
On our wavelength

and its gone again.....gonna just buy a decent router I think. 

Hello chronicbint.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about the wired connection failing.

We have taken a look at signal levels coming into the hub and everything is perfect.

Would you like me to arrange for a service technician to attend and see if we can swap the hub over?

Saves you the cost of purchasing a 3rd party router.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message anyway to pass security. 
If you can check the Logo top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

chronicbint
On our wavelength

I bought a WiFi 6 router to tide me over until WiFi 7 gets a bit more mainstream.