cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 / 192.168.0.1 / Change IP range

robatwork
On our wavelength

Just bought a new Hub 5 to replace a Hub 3, to help with wifi speeds.

Having had a quick root around here it looks like VM removed the ability to change the IP range, which is going to cause me a problem as I VPN into work which is on 192.168.0.0/24.

Other than using my own router behind the Hub 5 in modem mode (which I don't want to do for various reasons), is there a secret unpublished method to change the hub's IP that I haven't discovered in a quick google? My DM's, as they say on X, are open.

Thanks in advance

12 REPLIES 12

Client62
Legend

"bought a Hub 5" ... Do you mean as in bought a Hub 5 from eBay ?

Hub 3 and Hub 5 both use the same LAN  IP range, why has this only become an issue now with the Work VPN ?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Speak to you work IT, you cannot now change the local LAN IP subnet.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

ILuvNips
Rising star

I don't remember any such issues with changing the LAN IP network and I've had a hub2, 3 and 5, are you looking in the Advanced Admin section?

In HA7. Billing Area 21.
Utilisation Fault
F003502423: Review Dates -> 07/10/2015 -> 02/12/2015 -> 20/01/2016 😞 -> Closed 🙂
Utilisation Fault F004873444: Review Dates -> 29/03/2017 😞 -> Closed 🙂
Utilisation Fault F005506920: Review Dates -> 09/08/2017 -> 08/06/2018 -> 13/06/2018 -> 11/07/2018 -> 12/09/2018 -> 29/05/2019 😞 -> Open 😞

As in "bought direct from Virgin Media after a request to their cust service dept"

I've checked every option in every menu, looks like the newer fw has locked it down beyond reason. All that can be changed in DHCP is the starting local address and the number of CPEs. Not the actual DHCP server address. 

robatwork
On our wavelength

I am my work IT 😀

It would be such a PITA to change the work IP range as to not be realistic

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You don't buy the Hub from Virginmedia. It is loaned to you during the contract. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

robatwork
On our wavelength

@jpeg1 wrote:

You don't buy the Hub from Virginmedia. It is loaned to you during the contract. 

That's as may be but in reality

- I paid money to get the hub 5
- Your reply wasn't really on topic

@RedWine345 wrote:

To be honest, the fault is with your work’s IT

Gotta agree with you. Why would any networking person set 192.168.0.0/24 as their lan range?

I'm in no way defending VM's terrible Hubs, the hubs are absolute jokes in my opinion. The fact that the word "CPE" is used in their DHCP range config is reason enough to run towards a proper router manufactured by a proper chinese/asian networking manufacturer. I would personally avoid Netgear, Arris etc.

Also purchasing a Hub 5 "to help with wifi speeds" is also futile in my opinion. If you need help with wifi speeds you should be running away from any VM branded gear at full pelt.... you should be looking at wifi access points and a proper router with built in AP management or an AP controller (prefereably from a chinese/taiwanese/asian manufacturer.)