cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 recommendations please

DoubtLess2022
On our wavelength

Hello.

I have a 1Gbps package and am very happy with the upload download speeds, and the wifi speeds.  There is ample capacity for the whole family.

Two bedrooms have worse wifi speeds, but still good enough and generally speeds are healthy speeds across the house. The main issue is wifi dropping out. 

I have got a VM white wifi pod, but actually the wifi seems more fragile now and can now drop out several times a day. Going in to the VM Connect app can often cause drop outs for everyone.  When the wifi goes, it goes for everyone for a few minutes, even if you're sat next to the hub.  Ethernet connected devices do not drop out at this time.

Conversely, there are daily disconnections from an ethernet connected playstation - only momentarily but enough to throw you from a game.  (Wifi is unaffected at this time).  

I've tried VM tech support and they suggested moving my hub to a more central location and rebooting it daily.  i.e they've not helped and they haven't listened to me - specifically, the connections are mostly great, but are unstable. Is there any point pursuing this with their tech team or just accept that it's really flaky unless I buy a separate router?

Can anyone please advise if a Hub 5 would help - (is there even any prospect of getting one?).  Alternatively, which routers and mesh systems are recommended for running the hub in modem-mode?

Thanks everyone.

37 REPLIES 37

Hi Matthew_ML.

Thanks for your reply.  If you could please read my correspondence or review my phone calls to VM Support, you will see my issue is not the 'odd drop out'. I have sometimes been experiencing wifi (not ethernet) drop outs several times a day. Often I notice a drop out each day in a situation where it would reasonably be described as 'unexpected'. On occasion, I have a flawless day where I can enjoy rapid, stable wifi access. To be honest, I am tired of continually explaining my situation. It feels like VM are engaged in a battle of attrition where you're waiting for me to give up out of sheer frustration. The lack of VM's actions in progressing a resolution, or even acknowledging an issue is in stark contrast to the generous, informed and expert knowledge that VM customers have shared with me on the forum boards. I have learnt a lot from people on here as opposed to the intransigence from VM. A case in point, if any more were needed, is that following my call to VM Support on Sunday, I was promised by the technician that a manager would call me back within 24 hours: I am still waiting. I was also told I'd be sent a black wifi pod which the techncian said was newer than the white ones. No sign of this as yet either.

I hear the VM hubs are cheap, and one shouldn't expect too much from them. If this is the case, where is the issue in replacing it? Nevertheless, as per my last comment, it is not acceptable to have such unstable wifi, irrespective of whether it is guaranteed or not.

PS, I've posted two recent BQM images.

Thank you Legacy1 for following my case. Your concise summary of my situation is right and I'm a little disappointed that VM haven't been quicker in seeking to offer a practical resolution. To be clear, I don't want compensation, I just want to have a replacement router. A Hub5 would be great for my WFH and Gig package but I'd be happy with a working hub4. Then, when I can afford it I'll put it in modem mode.

Hi @DoubtLess2022 

Thanks for coming back to us.

At this stage we'd not be able to issue a replacement router as this isn't the results of the tests ran.

I can see we've sent you a Pod previously. Please could you try using this to see if it improves WiFi performance?

There are a few requirements for the Pods to work with our Hubs:

•    The Hub must be in 'Router Mode' and not have been changed to 'Modem Mode'.
•    Channel Optimisation must be left on.
•    The SSIDs must be the same and broadcast enabled.
•    The SSID must be password protected.
•    The Passphrases of the SSIDs must match.

As long as all of the above points are all met then the Pod should automatically connect to your Hub's Wi-Fi and begin broadcasting. The wireless details from the Pod will be the same as the Hub's details, so no additional steps are required to connect the devices in the home.

This link will help though if you do have any issues: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/intelligentwifipod

When you've used the Pod, please also use the Connect App to do further wireless scans. This will show if another Pod needed and if so, we can order an additional one for you 🙂

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@John_GS wrote:

At this stage we'd not be able to issue a replacement router as this isn't the results of the tests ran.

because their are no  results for testing wifi!😤

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hello John,

Thanks for replying about my issue and looking at the test results.

Could you please share with me which results you are looking at which confirm the wifi is not unstable?  I have looked everywhere I can think in the router settings and nothing seems to answer this question. Is there a hidden menu that customers can't access?  I can see in the settings that wifi connections are in place, but this is just a snapshot.  It would be really helpful to see wifi disconnection logs especially where this affects multiple devices simultaneously.  I ran the hub diagnostic to see if this showed anything:

DoubtLess2022_0-1702754261443.png

I appreciate your other recommendations, thank you.  Yes, I have previously been sent a white wifi pod and this improved the speed of connections in rooms where it was reduced, but unfortunately it seemed to make the stability of the overall wifi incredibly fragile.  It frequently led to multiple devices disconnecting simultaneously, often several times a day simultaneously.  These problems extended to using ConnectApp.  Opening the app caused lots of issues - hub not found, wifi not optimised etc etc.  Allowing it to reconfigure the network often did nothing.  Even when it was "working", it would lose it's details by the next time I logged in to it.  Even going in to the app sometimes led to the wifi going down.

While using the pod, my router was configured exactly as you described.  Having removed the wifi pod, my speeds in some rooms are reduced but the stability has improved.  Since removing the pod, I have gone back to hiding my SSID.  (I know it doesn't offer any real benefit, just my personal choice).  I mentioned this on the phone to one of the technicians and he said he'd send me a black wifi pod as these were apparently newer, but I don't know if it's been sent.

Just to add, my WAN connection is really good and other users have commented on the BQM saying it shows no problems.  Thanks for your ongoing suggestions, and if you can think of anything else, I would be happy to try.  

Thanks for clarifying that Legacy1.  I spent ages looking for these on the hub. 

DoubtLess2022
On our wavelength

Hello John, 

Would you be able to let me know please about how to check the stability of the Wifi LAN connections or is it as Legacy1 says; simply not possible to do this? 

As you know,  I have been having ongoing problems for quite some time, and even since I last wrote, this has not abated. Wifi losses on Christmas Day were a disappointment and there have been issues each day since affecting different wifi devices - Virgin 360 box, Google Home, phones, tablets...

Everything else is working very well with my WAN, phone, ethernet and TV services. Since I have tried all the troubleshooting VM have recommended, I am convinced there is a fault within the wifi element of the router.  Please can you tell me what VM are going to do to bring this to a conclusion? It has been going on much too long now and frankly, it is an unacceptable situation.

Kind regards 

Hopefully I've got closure on this now! 😃 Just had a very productive call with one of the VM tech support. He listened to the history of the issues, the troubleshooting steps that have been performed and he has arranged for the hub to be replaced. I'm so happy and very optimistic this will resolve the wifi instability issue.

Thank you to everybody in the community who has supported me with technical advice during this matter.