cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get Virgin to run broadband to the house

abrown234
Just joined

Any tips on convincing virgin to run cables to your house. Live a few doors down from where the connection ends on a slightly off the road private road(so were probably 20 meters maximum from where i would assume the cables end) so all we can get is the distinctly average 66mbs max 'superfast' deals from sky/bt and all the clones ect.

Both of us sometimes work from home at the same time and it is almost impossible to do so on this connection and the only option i can see to get it better is if Virgin will supply us. Not sure whats fully involved but can never seem to get anyone to contact me back from the various 'register your interest' avenues online. anyone know a better way?

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Past topics on here have often mentioned that VM tends to avoid installations on private roads.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You are not only fighting the fact that VM won’t entertain installing on private roads due to the complications of wayleave. The ducting that is there for the most part runs off a network that cannot be expanded due its type & age. Virgin also ceased doing “infill” builds sometime ago owing to cost. The maximum Virgin budgets for to connect a single new customer amounts to digging around 7 - 10 metres of tarmac.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You could try Openreach and enquire about FTTPoD.  But be prepared to have very, very deep pockets.  This may give you an idea of why VM do not do one off's down private roads 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@nodrogd wrote:

You are not only fighting the fact that VM won’t entertain installing on private roads due to the complications of wayleave. The ducting that is there for the most part runs off a network that cannot be expanded due its type & age. Virgin also ceased doing “infill” builds sometime ago owing to cost. The maximum Virgin budgets for to connect a single new customer amounts to digging around 7 - 10 metres of tarmac.

I'm sure I could find more this one came to mind straight away. Check the date the work is scheduled. Can confirm HFC.

Works.jpg

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @abrown234 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that we are not yet available to your address. I would be more than happy to get a private message sent across so we can raise a form to have our teams reach out in regards to a possible cabling.

I will pop you a PM across now, please keep an eye out for the envelope at the top of your screen alerting you to a new message.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@IPFreely wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

I'm sure I could find more this one came to mind straight away. Check the date the work is scheduled. Can confirm HFC.

Works.jpg

A strange one, as the track of the existing network is visible going from the new house (3a) to 5 already. The cabinet that serves the entire section of road on both sides is outside no.2. I’m thinking this is a reinforcement for the driveway, plus an additional tee on the existing track between 3 & 5.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993