cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HomeHub 4 Speed issue

Arfie
Joining in

Hi, I have the Home Hub 4 with the 1 GB plan and can't seem to get to speak to someone who can help make sense of why I am getting less that 550mb on speed test with nothing else connected, whilst using the Home hub as the modem and router.  I was getting similar speeds with my old Asus router and I recently tried a google wifi pro router and it was producing 960mb on the output speed, but had too many restrictions for me to work with such as not being able to choose the 5ghz etc.  I thought it was my old Asus router that was the issue so I upgraded to the RT AXE7800 and am still getting the same speeds.

I have the hub 4 set up in modem only mode and the Asus in router mode. With everything else removed I am getting just under 600mb at best.  I'm not able to connect to my home hub in modem mode via the Virgin app or Sams speed check to validate anything and the tech support team keep saying everything is fine at our end. They keep trying to give me the wifi extenders like that will solve the router speed issue.  I've spent way too much time and money trying to just get it to do what it should, which is run close to 1000mb. I don't particularly want to use the VM hub as the router because I need the features on the Asus router.  Any help or suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

13 REPLIES 13

None of my devices have a network port 😞  I guess the question is though why on the Google wifi pro it was fine on wifi at over 900mb but not on VM hub?

Client62
Legend

"but output from VM hub 4 is around 600" & "None of my devices have a network port"

600 Mb/s via Wi-Fi 5 is good.  What device does not work well with that ?

For our modern slimline laptops we have HP USB 3 to 1Gb/s Network adaptors
these are about £10 and can exceed Wi-Fi 5 speeds with better stability.

The Hub speed profile is seen on the Configuration tab, look for an entry
similar to : Max Traffic Rate there will be a Downstream & an Upstream figure
it may be in bits per second.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

because the hub is not that good🤔

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

That would be it then - you don't have an Ethernet port.  My iPhone 14 with WiFi AX, connected to an ASUS AX88u router seldom tops 700 Mbps in the same room.  Wired devices always see 960 Mbps.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)