cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardwire issue - sudden loss of broadband

alittlemark
Joining in

Morning all

I have a hub 5 with 1gig bb, connected by cat6 I have an access point in the garden and a powered 5 port switch which has my tv and my Sonos boost connected , up until Saturday at about 3 pm it’s been running fine with no issues then all of a sudden I loose everything wired bb and Wi-Fi .

reset everything and even did a hard reset and still nothing, I have disconnected everything that is hardwired and I get Wi-Fi back .

been onto Virgin and they changed the hub yesterday afternoon but with in an hour of the engineer leaving the same again no bb or Wi-Fi , so I disconnected the hardwired again and with in minutes is back.

has anyone any idea what the issue might be 

many thanks

mark 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

21 REPLIES 21

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There is a long topic here on the Hub 5, use of switches and the 2.5 Gbps port

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Hub-5-Firmware-Upgrade/td-p/5480079

not sure how/if this fits exactly with your situation but you can see if anything above applies to your setup.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, until this 2.5 Gb port is sorted for various reasons, it seems best to avoid using it.  I’ve stopped using it some time ago. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi guys

it doesn’t matter what port I use as soon as I hardwire anything Wi-Fi is stopped dead along with my hardwire connection 

Describe your setup in a bit more detail.

From your description, I have read this as

Hub 5 (Router mode inc wi-fi) >> Cat 6 cable >> Switch >> Access point + TV + Sonos

Are you using just one Cat 6 cable to link to the switch or some different arrangement? Is the Cat 6 cable a long 'uplink' cable from the hub to a garden room or similar?

Are you able to test one item at a time direct into the hub and see if it is any one device causing an issue?

Hi there 

so set up as follows 

hub 5 to powered 5 port hardwired with cat6 cable 

from 5 port (hardwired) to tv , Sonos boost and TP-Link access point in the garden

i have tested individually firstly plugging each one into the hub 5 directly and then going from hub 5-5 port - device 

each time i get the same result with in no more than a couple of minutes i loose connection but if I leave the hub 5 as a stand alone just WiFi I have no issues what so ever

hope that makes sense 

cheers

mark

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What make and model is your "powered" switch and do you mean it is PoE?  If so are all the ports PoE?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I would have to check the port when I get home 

The garden WiFi runs off one of these 

TP-Link EAP110-Outdoor

the powered switch runs off the mains the garden is Poe 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I use TP-Link EAP's and they are fine over PoE.  But the initial switch after my Hub 5 is not a PoE switch, so don't know if that helps or not.