cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damp mark near VM socket - weather damage?

roberta_capuano
Joining in

Hello Virgin Media community,

I hope you’re all doing well. I’m reaching out here because I’ve encountered an issue since the installation of my Wi-Fi cable. With the recent cold weather and rainy days, a damp mark has appeared around the Virgin Media socket on my wall.

I’m a bit concerned about potential damage, and I’m seeking advice from the community or any Virgin Media representatives on how to address this. Has anyone else faced a similar situation? Any guidance on the appropriate steps to take would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your insights!

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Post up photos of the internal and external side of the VM socket.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

 Hi, John! 

thanks for replying. 
here are the pictures:

IMG_7290.jpeg

IMG_7288.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

How long ago was the installation ?

Not clear to me on your external photos whether the hole where the VM cable enters the property has been properly sealed (with "silicone sealant") to prevent water ingress.  Do you have a close up photo of that point?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The internal photo certainly shows a damp problem but the outside pictures suggest there is possibly more going on than just the VM cable.

The outside wall areas look soaked and saturated with water with moss growing on the mortar and there are more than a few gaps and cracks in the sealing materials on the outside.

Nothing to say the VM cable might be contributing in some way to the problem but there may be other causes too.

Is there guttering in the area above the outside photos? If there is, is that clear, free flowing and free from any leaks?

(Fixed a similar problem at my own home in the summer where the water leak coming inside actually turned out to be due to failed silicone sealant around the uPVC window frame)

Hi @roberta_capuano 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Very sorry to hear and see of this damp. I am with the community in that not sure if caused by the cabling. 

I'll send you a PM now though to get some details and flag to the Area Manager to send someone round.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi :)!

sorry for the late reply - the installation was done around May this year. 
I couldn’t take a better picture as I live on a 1st floor flat and i don’t have a balcony.. but doesn’t seem to be sealed.

thank you,

Roberta 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roberta_capuano wrote:

I couldn’t take a better picture as I live on a 1st floor flat and i don’t have a balcony.. but doesn’t seem to be sealed.

Roberta 

Maybe take photos from below the window holding the camera/phone up in the air at arms length... then select the best view and crop and magnify the photo at the entry point area.  Might work ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I suggest you get a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture in that room, otherwise you can get mould. I've had a number of dehumidifiers for years and you'd be surprised how quickly the water tank can sometimes fill up.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection