cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect to 5Ghz but no internet

happyd
Joining in

My devices connect to my 5Ghz band fine, with good signal strength but there is no internet connection. It's happened within the last 24-48 hours. 

Nothing has changed within the house. I've spoken to customer services over the phone and they've said it's the 'range' which is complete waffle.

Devices connect perfectly fine with internet on 2.4 Ghz.

I've had a quick search on he community forum and can see quite a few people have had the issue recently but nothing resolved?

Any advice would be welcome; please keep it simple... 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

When connecting on 5GHz are the devices receiving a valid DHCP response from the VM Hub ?

The connection to the internet would fail if the allocated IP is not in the range 192.168.0.xxx or the Gateway is not set to 192.168.0.1

happyd
Joining in

Hi, thanks for your response. I checked the above and the IPs were within range.

I think I have solved it now though by changing settings on my computer's WiFi adapater - https://thegeekpage.com/5ghz-wifi-not-showing-up-in-windows-10-solved/

I'm not clued up enough to know why it stopped working in the first place, when it was fine before.

Client62
Legend

Changed what settings ?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For a fixed abode PC, I would suggest using ethernet.  Far too much faffing about for this new fangled Wifi 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The setting on my wireless adapter in device manager - 

Step 3: A new Wireless adapter properties window will open up. Here, go to the Advanced tab. Look for 802.11n mode and select it. After selecting, change the value on the right side to Enable. Click Ok.