cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone explain this please?

WelshGasman
Superfast

Virging decided to give me a hub 4 as I was on a hub 2.
Delivered yesterday and what a palaver.
It appeared that it would not go into modem mode. It states on the device it can take up to 5 ninutes, but that does not say 5 minutes to reboot or 5 minutes from reboot?

I call India and lady tells me that the hub 4 is not registered on their system yet.

I try and explain to her that my hub2 is in modem mode. I just want to put the hub4 into modem mode and then physically swap them over.
She cannot seem to grasp this and hangs up.

I end resetting the hub4 and starting again. So try and call again. BTW all I got on 150 was an engaged tone?, had to call the 03 number.
Anyway I get another support person who is laso struggling to identify what is wrong with this device, but through trial and error we eventually get it connected. BUT, and this is a huge but. The address of the hub4 when in router mode is 192.168.100.1, not 192.168.0.1 as it is meant to be?
The address remains the same if I am in modem mode.
They informed me it is port 1 if in modem mode when it is port 4 just as the hub2 was. At least that had an indicator.
So can anyone explain the ip address conflict. I can get online in modem or router mode, but curious as to what has gone on here.
Fortunately for me I am fairly savvy about ip addresses, I even used to work for NTL a good few years back, but god help anyone where this is all gobblygook to them.

WelshGasman_0-1714133753432.png

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible. NOTE this will remove any custom settings you may have set in the Hub, and they will all have to be setup again.

Also when in modem mode the Hub 4 can respond to 192.168.0.1 as well as 192.168.0.1 if your Router is not .0.1 

The port is irrelevant but most users use Port 4 when in modem mode.  I think this did matter at one time, but seems not to be the case now. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

WelshGasman
Superfast

Is there anyway I can get the router to have a 192.168.2.x address?

My network started off with Belkins and they used 2.x I have a bunch of devices all over the house that have that setting. If I want to make the Hub my main router instead of my existing  main router, I would like to give that the 2.x address and rename the wifi to be the same as my home wifi. Then everything will still connect without resetting them all.

The hub wifi is very fast on my laptop, over 100Mbps, 188Mbps to be precise, way above what my TPLink routers can manage.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No you can’t set the Hub to anything other than 0.1  If you use modem mode and a 3rd party router then you can.   You can however rename the SSID as your existing one.  Any DHCP devices will join the Hubs WiFi and get a 0.x address

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

WelshGasman
Superfast

Thank you. I lke the wifi speed, but will leave it as a modem for now. Just cannot bring myself to connect all these devices to a new network. Trials of trying to have a smart home.
I can have it as a router, but then cannot connect to my NAS boxes.

However I have found that the DHCP allows the last two sections of the ip address.
If I choose 2.130 to start DHCP, I get a warning that the host will change to 2.1 ???, so that implies that I can change the internat ip address?
I will need to switch off DHCP on my main router, but I ma going to have a play around. Searching here and on the net sems to say that 0.1 address cannot be changed, so now I am intrigued. 🙂
My main router is 2.1 so I will need to change that ro prevent a conflict.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I want to use modem mode no I want to use router mode no you can't use .2.1 I change my whole network over to .0.1😵stop your giving me a headache🤒

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unless you have a huge amount of 2.1 static IP addresses, it will not matter?  Your devices should get a 0.x address from the Hub in router mode.  Set your existing Router to a 0.x address that’s outside the Hubs DHCP scope and use it in access point mode. Set both the Hub and Router to have the same WiFi SSID and passwords. 

WelshGasman
Superfast

@WelshGasman wrote:

VirgSet your existing Router to a 0.x address that’s outside the Hubs DHCP scope 

Not sure I can do that as then it has the same subnet as the WAn address, currently 0.55
That is why I realised I could not set the router to 2.1, anyway it gave an error message saying the address was used for other purposes.
The super speed only happens on my laptop, not my phone or other other computers.
I have two other routers bridged to my main router. Just tried bridging to the hub, but was not successful. The hub will not accept the wifi password that I have on my wifi at the moment.
I am going to leave it as it is for now. Might try another day.

Many thanks for the replies and advice.

Not getting any notifications on these replies either?