cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband WIFI I cannot get onto a particular website, which works OK on mobile data/ other peoples VM ac

Lucysmum
Joining in

Sorry I don't understand "value for this field"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What website?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What website?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Lucysmum
Joining in

It is Harrogate Rambling Club https://harrogateramblingclub.org.uk

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK here.

What device and browser are you trying on?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Lucysmum
Joining in

It’s a Dell w10 laptop and 2 iPhone SE. By eliminating things it seems to be the hub and its settings, hub was changed and website was reached but after a day it went back to timing out. There seemed to be some kind of issue with certificate but turning off webpage and parental block made no difference so I wonder if the permission is held in VM server but has not been updated ( the website didn’t have a cert for a while but does have one now) . Other people who have VM can access the website no problem so I am mistified!  It seems to be our installation 

Hey Lucysmum, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community i am so sorry to hear this.

Please can you let me know what websites aren't working, could you have the child safe feature turned on for example?

Let us know 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hello Matthew ML, thanks for getting back to me.

The website is https://harrogateramblingclub.org.uk. The childsafe feature has been turned on and off, the websafe also. Did you see the rest of the posts where I wrote that the hub was changed, that website worked when the tech (VM) guy was here but 2 days later it failed again, timing out. The club webmaster asures me the site has a valid certificate. Friends who also have VM can get on the site but we can't on our wifi. Is the certificate identification done in the hub or on VM server?.

thanks again for listening, kind regarsd, Nick Kemp ( for Lucysmum who has the VM account)

asim18
Fibre optic

What exactly happens when you try to visit the website?

Any specific error messages? Certificate errors will usually show an error descriptor helping you to pinpoint the issue.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Has she tried using a different browser, or incognito mode?

Browsers store the address details in the cache and if there was an issue which has now been rectified it could be that the cache was corrupted and is thus going to the same page still stored in memory. Clearing the cache can often solve this problem and force the site to reload fully the site and not from a stored page.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Newapollo, thanks for your interest in Lucysmum's problem.

Yes we have tried a different browser and also incognito mode. The situation as I see it is that I can't get onto the site with 2 different mobile phones as well as the laptop which can use different browsers. Does a mobile phone store the page in a cache? The crazy thing is that changing the hub for a new one meant that I could get onto the site using the laptop and the phones through VM wifi, only to find 2 days later without using the laptop at all, suddenely the site was timing out again. Do you think that permissions are controlled by the hub or by a seerver at VM?

many thanks for your input, cheers Nick for lucysmum