cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"can only refund by (physical) cheque" - what can be done? I internet bank!

foc
Tuning in

After 5 different attempts by Virgin Media to charge me extra on my account, I finally reached the account term and cancelled 3 months ago. Since I cancelled, Virgin have tried to charge me almost £100 (the amount varies every time I query it) unjustifiably as I have paid the bills IN FULL ...I have complained on this forum and private messages and the phoneline. Now they are saying they can only refund & pay me compensation BY PHYSICAL CHEQUE...which is no good because I online bank and can't cash a cheque.  How can they justify taking their fees by automatic bank transfer and not repaying customers by same?  What can I do to get my money back?  Needless to say, Virgin's responses to my official complaints and follow ups has been slow, confusing, obstructive and has not dealt with the issue.  Any advice v gratefully received!

7 REPLIES 7

Cardiffman282
Knows their stuff

I online bank (high street bank too) and can deposit cheques via the app. You also can with app-only banks like Starling and Revolut. I do agree it seems a bit primative. 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In my mind if a bank does not accept cheques, it’s not a bank. I know they are rare these days, but cheques will still be around for sometime. Still remember feeding them through a 1419.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

NinjaMeerkat
Fibre optic

If your online banking app doesn't allow cheque deposits then most banks allow cheques to be deposited via the post office.

Arissa_H
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Foc 👋🏼.

Thank you for coming back to us on here, I can see our team member is on a private message with yourself. Please continue to speak over private message to avoid any confusion and our team will further assist.  

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

The private messaging has not resolved this question - or the other problems I've been encountering - that's why I returned to the forum!

It's primitive not to refund via bank transfer since VM charges us that way - I can only think it is to cause friction in the leaving process - similar to the attempts to add extra charges to the bill.  Appalling behaviour, glad OFCOM is investigating...

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I suspect it's more to do with internal security within VM. If there's only one chequebook with one authorized signatory there's no opportunity for misuse of thie primitive computer systems.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.