cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can't use that password

JoshCusack
Joining in

Hi I'm a new customer and I have been trying to create an account with you for well over a week now and everytime I get to the point of choosing a password it just keeps saying that I can't use this password. I have now tried well over 50 passwords and still no joy. Its getting very frustrating now.

298 REPLIES 298

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I'm a new virgin media customer and I am having the same issue, when I try to choose a password it tells me to try another one, no matter how many different ones I try.

I have:

Tried different browsers

Tried different devices

Tried clearing the cache/browser histories

And still no luck. Any thoughts?

This is absolutely ridiculous, how am I meant to edit a service I pay for if I can't even have an account.

I didn't even get this with Sky or EE, this is absolutely appalling.

Thanks for your suggestion, the pattern <text><number><text> worked e.g. abc123def

Although Virgin media, should look for better Software developers, the service is absolute trash. Here's what happens after login in:

Screenshot 2022-05-31 at 18.59.19.png

I've been billed £48 for a service I haven't been able to even register to, for a week now.

So here's what's going to happen. Either this gets fixed by Monday or I'm phoning to cancel my order, and going to Plusnet like my instincts told me to, with a full refund. 

Morning mnicholson,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've had some trouble setting up your online account.

So I can help I've popped you over a private message to get a few more details from you (purple envelope top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Thanks Alex, after posting this I was able to get in using a combination of lowercase letters followed by numbers. Adding any form of special characters, or using numbers at the start, or using a combination of letters and numbers, didn't work. But that leads me to think maybe it's not the password algorithm, maybe the way the request was being sent? I was getting a 400 error from the account part of the website about 10 minutes later, maybe they're related.

I still have no connection, hub's not working, and as it's a quick start account I haven't set up a telephone password so I have to wait for that before the team will speak to me, and I'm going to need an engineer. But I'm one step closer at least.

My advice to anyone else having this problem; try the format abc123 and try and change that password once you're in, because that worked for me.

Thanks for confirming you were able to set this up mnicholson 🙂

Can you confirm if you've been able to run through the diagnostics here if a technician is needed it will prompt you to book one.

Alex_Rm

I still need help with this issue and no one has contacted me. Last time I phoned for support they weren't able to help after waiting on hold for an hour so really don't want to have to do that again. As a new customer it's extremely frustrating to not be able to do something that should be simple. 

Hi @SallyDav

We are aware of this issue and it is being looked at internally, however we do have a few things you can try that have worked for some customers. 

Please ensure you are following all of the below criteria when choosing a password. 

•  Between 8-10 characters. 

•  Must start with a letter. 

•  Contain at least one number. 

•  No special characters. 

Please also try via both a browser and the My Virgin Media app as some customers have had luck with one but not the other. 

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Bl4hBl4h
Joining in

Hi,

I'm setting up my account and seem to have the same problem countless other people have. I get the message that I 'can't use that password' and it's the same message when using the app.

Any help setting up this account would be great

Cheers!