cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade package not working

bretta
Tuning in

Every time I go to upgrade package or see what offers are available I get the message 'you are not eligible for this particular offer'. I currently have TV and phone and just want to add broadband on top.

13 REPLIES 13

Cardiffman282
Problem sorter

? VM doesn't do standalone TV or phone so you must already have broadband. Are you able to clarify? 

---------------
Cancel VM here
Complain to VM
here
Demand compensation from VM here
Demand your call recordings here
Monitor the state of your VM connection here

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi bretta 

Which VM TV set top box do you have?  <tivo, V6 or 360>  or <stream box> 

Only the older tivo boxes were sold without a broadband connection as they have their own inbuilt modem

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I have the basic mixit TV package with a phone line. I recently recontacted too and on the contract summary under broadband it says 'free TV data connection' so think that means it technically have internet for on demand video on my TV but no 'actual' broadband doesn't it?

I have Tivo

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bretta wrote:

I have the basic mixit TV package with a phone line. I recently recontacted too and on the contract summary under broadband it says 'free TV data connection' so think that means it technically have internet for on demand video on my TV but no 'actual' broadband doesn't it?

Hi again  @bretta 

That  makes perfect sense to me, although I must admit I've never seen the actual wording. 

The  'you are not eligible for this particular offer'.message you are seeing  when trying to add on broadband might be because you've just recently recontracted, or it might be a quirk  of VM's systems since you don't have a paid broadband connection.

I would suggest that it might be best to speak to retentions (thinking of leaving) since adding broadband will lose any current discounts that you've just negotiated. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thank you for your help. I did try to add broadband but the retention team were insistent I had to upgrade the TV box, which I don't want to do as it is my 91 year old grandmother who uses it and she wouldn't be able to adapt to something new. I just recontacted in the hope I could add as a standalone online. If this isn't possible I will have to get an Openreach connection for the broadband.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for updating the thread again @bretta 

Upgrading to the V6 box would seem to be the solution (although she would lose her recordings and series links, but she would also lose them if she went to an Openreach supplier as the VM boxes don't work with any other provider)

The V6 has the same interface as the tivo box that she has, so she wouldn't have to learn anything new.

It's also a lot faster, and has double the storage for recordings (although she probably wouldn't need it, but it would allow her to record 6 programs at a time instead of the 3 that's available on her tivo box)

The V6 also has some additional apps.   The older tivo box which she currently has often has problems with BBC iPlayer  - the V6 has no issues with that app.

Dave

Thanks, that's good to know the interface is the same but as her eyesight isn't great I would want to keep the same remote control that she has so really don't want to change the box. I would just keep what she has with Virgin and get an additional Openreach line installed for the broadband. I would much prefer to get internet through virgin but cannot risk changing her TV box so that is an absolute must to keep as-is.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @bretta 

I don't think that the old tivo remote would work with the V6 box, but  I'm asking behind the scenes and will hopefully get back to you tomorrow with the answer.

The two remotes are about the same size and shape but there are a couple of buttons that are different. Screenshot below.

3.jpg

Dave