cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still 30 days notice required when out of contract?

misterbuggerlug
On our wavelength

Why do I have to give 30 days notice when I am out of my virgin contract? Why can't you just disconnect me immediately and send me a collection bag for my hardware?

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's a rolling contract until cancelled by giving notice, and all providers are the same (although Sky ask for 31 days notice of cancellation) and it's included in all of their terms and conditions.

The majority of customers would be extremely unhappy if they lost connection to landline, broadband, tv etc immediately and without prior notice.

VM could disconnect you immediately however you would still have to pay for the 30 days notice period

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@misterbuggerlug wrote:

Why do I have to give 30 days notice when I am out of my virgin contract?

You are never "out" of a contract until you explicitly give your 30days notice. I think you'll struggle to find any UK telecoms provider who doesn't require a notice period.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

misterbuggerlug
On our wavelength

Strange isn't it how "You are never "out" of a contract until you explicitly give your 30days notice. " yet I can be out of "reduced contract" after my 18 months is up and still get annual price rises. This company is taking the biscuit, hell its a complete packet of hobnobs!

So the 30 days notice is so they can get another month out of you, basically.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@misterbuggerlug wrote:

Strange isn't it how "You are never "out" of a contract until you explicitly give your 30days notice

The natural extension of contracts being fixed-term ones, is that every customer would be automatically disconnected on the expiry of that contract. That's not workable in practice.

@misterbuggerlug wrote:

So the 30 days notice is so they can get another month out of you, basically.

You're free to give your disconnection notice during month 17 if you want to cancel at the expiry of your minimum term.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there @misterbuggerlug 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums, it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry to hear that you are feeling let down by the 30 day notice period. We can understand your frustrations but the 30 day notice is required and is included in your terms and conditions of your contract. You can give the notice as mentioned by the community team here, in the 17th month of your initial contract.

I just love how Virgin Media just paints the "is included in your terms and conditions of your contract." as the panacea of everything it embodies, like being a customer you have the choice! You either accept those terms regardless of how bad they are (and how much more it increasingly costs you) or you are not a customer of Virgin media. That's what happens when its either Virgin or crap FTTC from BT, but Virgin goes and just takes advantage of that allowing its corporate greed to destroy every single ounce of customer loyalty it ever had. As a company it just doesn't care.

Honestly I can't wait for an AltNet to fibre my street so I can leave Virgin and its dodgy contracts behind.