cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home and being placed on to a new contract without contest

JackC96
Tuning in

I recently got in touch to let you know im moving house. However, the email i have recieved with the new account details within the contract that i am to pay £49 a month which is much more than I was paying, they have also extended the contract for another 12 months. THIS IS COMPLETELY WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Within the chat with the agent I specifically stated that I do not want any of my services changed, just simply changed to my new address. Today I have spent HOURS on hold to different departments and no one has been remotely helpful. I think its absolutely outrageous that virgin can get away with their appalling customer service. Since no one on the phone has any idea about literally anything, I am hoping that it can be resolved via the forums.

155 REPLIES 155

Hi Daniel8, 

Thanks for chatting with me in our PM, I am really glad we managed to get this resolved for you by amending the mistake within your account. 

If you have any further issues in future, please let us know and we will be more than happy to help.

Thanks,

Megan_L

D3l80Y
Joining in

Hi.

This does sound like a regular, reoccurring issue. Makes me wonder if it's regular policy to cancel the old contract and then 'con' the account holder into starting again with a new 18month contract.

So, I too have had the same old yarn.
I spoke to the 'Movers Team' on a chat ( I have the full, & lengthy transcript saved ... that's hours worth!)
I specifically stated that I did NOT want to end my contract (already 12 months down the line), I did not want to change the package or contract in any way.
I stated that I was moving into temporary accommodation and was in the process of buying (offer accepted) the new property at which VM services were fully available. No problem I was told. The services at the old address would be stopped(and they were, on the 15th April), a 'FREE' mobile dongle would be sent to me in the post, within 24 to 48hrs.
I discussed with the chat agent that I should keep hold of the Set-Top Box & Hub, be he insisted that they should be returned. So, a week later, I received the packaging. But still no Dongle?

I tried to chase up the Dongle via chat and then calling cust services, to be led around 5 different agents, finally told that my contract had been canceled and if I wanted a Dongle I would need to start a new mobile contract!

Back onto Chat again today with the Movers Team, for 2hrs, to be told the old account/contract had been canceled and I would have to start a new 18-month contract when I moved into the new house! & No Free Dongle had/was being sent!

That's outrageous and, although I haven't looked into it yet, a breach of contract and possibly illegal!!!
1) At no time did I ask for VM to cancel my contract, in fact, I asked specifically that they did NOT cancel it.
2) I was told to expect a FREE Mobile Dongle, which was never even sent.

My final words from the Chat - "My manager is currently unavailable at the moment however they will be in contact with you within the next two hours....."
"No need for you to do anything, one of our managers will message you back very shortly on this same text message."
4hrs later & I haven't had any contact, via any medium, from anyone. 😞

As a past employee of VM, I'm VERY disappointed with what seems to me to be a blatant attempt to force me to enter into a NEW 18-month contract, when I had just 6 months left of the old one.

I hope an agent on this forum will take up my complaint and resolve it.
Thanks all.

Hi D3l80Y,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm very sorry to hear of the experience you've had, and and confusion caused with moving the account.

So I can get a few more details from you I've sent you a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Looks like this is deliberate. 

Same story for me. Moving house and keeping services the same. Told the guy on the phone this. I wanted the same contract. He even confirmed the end date as this July. Only a £20 moving fee applied. 

Not only were the services stopped in the previous address 2 days before we had agreed, but the next day I receive an email to say welcome to my new 18 month contract. 

The people on the phones either need training or are being deliberately deceptive. I was told that moving house creates a new contract and there’s nothing I can do about it. Didn’t seem to matter when I directed them to their moving website or their own terms and conditions. 

Eventually (after hours) I get through to someone who sends me an email to say to ignore the new contract, the end date of the old contract will continue. He again confirmed the contract would end July this year, not November 2022. 

That was two weeks ago. Today I called up out of curiosity to check my contract end date. It’s November 2022! 

I spoke to someone who told me he could see the notes on the account and the previous agent had marked it as cleared. Clearly not. He said he contacted his manager who will resolve the issue in the next few days but I’m not holding my breath. 

Please can I get this resolved on here.

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Mferguson23

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry to hear you're experiencing the same issue and can appreciate this is not ideal at all, we do apologise. 

From the notes on the account, it does look like everything has been noted for you and passed along to the TM who will apply this to ensure that your contract runs out in July instead of November. 

If you wish to get an update, you are more than welcome to pop a message back on here and I can check to see if this has been done yet. 

If you do have any further issues, please do not hesitate to get in touch and I will happily assist you. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi, 

I have just had the same happen to me today. Due to move later this week - we have been with Virgin for many years, however the new contract to my new house has a new 18 month term, with a new start date and end date. This is a continuation of the services / contract I had in my previous house, and I was not advised that this would be the case. I am really disappointed that this has been hidden on an email attachment as opposed to advised during my conversation with Virgin.

What can be done, as I am not happy to be in another 18 month contract, more so without my consent or knowledge.

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Biasiucci and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the contract not being advised to you on the call

I'd like to take a closer look into this for you to see if this can be explained or rectified for you

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Jaspersmom1
Joining in

Hello, The same problem has just happened to myself! I have just moved and have received a new contract with a new 18 month term, with an almost double price. Please can someone get in touch with me to resolve this?

Thanks!

Hi Jaspersmom1,

If this is the first bill after your house move then, it's a prorated bill which shows the dates of the move to the upcoming month, You can find out more here:  virg.in/1stBill

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi,

No, it's not the first bill. Our original contract was from June 2020 to June 2021 but we moved house in December 2020. Then unbeknown to us we were set up on a new 18 month contract from December 2020 to June 2022 at a cost of £51 for M100. We didn't sign up for this and didn't want an 18 month contract.