cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home and being placed on to a new contract without contest

JackC96
Tuning in

I recently got in touch to let you know im moving house. However, the email i have recieved with the new account details within the contract that i am to pay £49 a month which is much more than I was paying, they have also extended the contract for another 12 months. THIS IS COMPLETELY WITHOUT MY CONSENT. Within the chat with the agent I specifically stated that I do not want any of my services changed, just simply changed to my new address. Today I have spent HOURS on hold to different departments and no one has been remotely helpful. I think its absolutely outrageous that virgin can get away with their appalling customer service. Since no one on the phone has any idea about literally anything, I am hoping that it can be resolved via the forums.

155 REPLIES 155

Hi xcom2k,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a warm welcome to you, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your new contract.

Please can you expand on the issue you have had when moving?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul, thanks for the quick reply.

I have just moved house and notified VM about it via the live chat. I told them (the person in the live chat) I wanted to stay on the current contract I had because I am only in the new property for around 6 months and they said that would be fine. However I then get an email with a new 12 month contract so I am a little confused. I have read back through the live chat transcript and it does say

"Having no new contract is an exclusive reward for moving customers only at the moment. We’re still working on getting our systems updated to reflect this, so as a result of booking your move today, you may receive a minimum term contract to your new address. Please disregard this as I’ve sent your move details over to a dedicated team who will ensure your account is amended to reflect our conversation today."

When I login to my account on the website it seems to also show a new contract there and it is also a different customer account number. As you can imagine I am a little confused. I did call and was transferred around the different departments having to explain everything over and over then I was put on hold and it disconnected. All I want is somebody to confirm that I am still on my old existing contract and not a new one.

Can you help?

Thanks

Thank you for that information xcom2k.

I can confirm that the account number will change as you're at a new address. 

Please do ignore the current information concerning your contract term I will have my manager amend them. 

I will private message you to get some information to help.

^Martin

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have replied to the PM.

Appreciate it.

Hi xcom2k, 

Curious to see whether you got this resolved as I have had the same issue, triggered by a move early October: I made no change in my package, and I was promised no new contract as well. 

I received the same confirmation as you on the chat (I even have a screenshot of this confirmation), telling me to disregard whatever automatic notification and new contract their system may send. I did call to query about it when a new contract was wrongly set up showing an increase of £14/month in my monthly charge and a new 12 month duration! Again, I was told to diregard it. 

I called back when my direct debit was wrongly changed to reflect the higher monthly charge. And again, I was reassured this was just an automatic thing but everything was kept in line with my initial month charge and contract.

I am on my 7th conversation with VM now - having to explain everything over and over again. I managed to get the amount adjusted, but their system is still wanting to bill me the wrong amount every month. 

How frustrating. No one cares, and I keep hearing "I can only go by what the system says", when the primary issue is that the system wrongly triggered a new contract I never consented to and was promised nothing would change! 

Next step... hoping VM calls me back after raising a complaint... 

Hi amandinedcf,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you have had this experience with your house move. Have you received a call back since raising your complaint?

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi Corey

thank you for getting back to me, to date no one contacted me unfortunately. 

Is this something you could help with by any chance?

thank you

OK I'll send you a private message, now.

Hey,

Apologies for piggybacking on this thread but looks like original poster has had issue resolved. And my issue is exactly the same as others so didn't think it necessary to create another thread.

I recently moved house and have brought across the virgin broadband with me (which was delayed 2 weeks because I couldn't get through on livechat, the phone etc for so long. Actually to the point I wanted to just cancel the service altogether - but turned out this was an expensive option!). I persisted with live chat when I had an evening to waste, overall I think the chat took about 3 hours, 1 hour waiting for a human, and then 2 trying to actually communicate with  the human who was clearly doing too many things at once - which was weird as would have been more efficient still to do one task at a time, but these recent 'unprecedented times' have brought about some strange strategies. Either way, I wanted to carry on my existing contract, and made this clear multiple times in the livechat, but find now that I have a new contract over 18months and for a higher monthly cost. I appreciate mistakes happen, but given it seems to have happened a few times it seems like an underhand tactic in the hope people don't notice or bother due to the difficulty getting through. I'd appreciate if I could get some support with the issue please if one of the forum team can DM me and I'll reply with account details.

Hi Pmadden85,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your bills looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

Can I firstly just ask what monthly price you were paying before you moved to the new address/account please? 

Also, how many months did you have left in your previous contract before you moved?

Thanks,

Megan_L