Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving and Landlord permission

Joining in

I am moving house and am in contract. There is supposed to be no exit fee if Virgin can't provide services, but is this also the case if my new landlord won't allow the installation? 


Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would think it is straightforward. Virgin Media can supply the service. You will have to pay early disconnection fees if you are unable to get the service installed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Joining in

If they can supply the service without damaging the property that would be fine - but can they do that? 

I suppose it depends what you consider 'damaging the property'.

They have to drill holes and fix cabling to outside and inside.

Alessandro Volta

Installation of cable always involves drilling through an external wall, so the tenant has to get permission from the landlord or freeholder. If permission is withheld then VM has not been granted access to the property.

Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Alas no, they would have to drill through the wall to run the cable. Now if your new landlord doesn’t want that, which is fair enough, then effectively VM can supply service to your new address, they just aren't allowed to.

The get-out of paying early disconnection fees applies in the case of you moving to an area which VM doesn't provide a service to, in your case it seems that they do provide a service. 

Sorry but I think you are going to have to pay up.