cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Bill!?

thebands
On our wavelength

Hi,

I gave notice of cancellation to VirginMedia on 26th April. My services are due to stop on the 26th May.

Before I log a formal complaint can someone tell me why Virginmedia have just sent me a bill for £107 covering the period 30 May to 29 June please?!

In fact why did my previous bill, also £107, cover the period up until 29th May when my services will stop on the 26th May? The May billing period should have been the last and should have been pro-rata'd. Neither of the bills mention actually being a final bill, both mention 'package changes' but don't specify what those package changes are.

What on earth are VirginMedia playing at and how do I get this sorted?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@thebands wrote:

So can anyone tell me how long after my disconnection date (26th May) does it take VM to produce my final bill and how long after that until they credit back anything they owe me?

Read through https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving under "how does my final bill work?"

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM continues to bill you as per normal right up until the day you are disconnected (so the bills keep on coming as per their normal schedule).

Shortly after you are disconnected you should receive a final bill. If you are in debit, you pay the balance and leave VM. If you are in credit VM should refund you (although not necessarily quickly).

https://www.virginmedia.com/support/help/billing-and-payment/bill-explainer/my-final-bill-explainer

Once you have been disconnected you should receive returns packaging from VM (although non-receipt of packaging is a regular source of complaint on here). You may need to request it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/return-or-recycle-equipment

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@thebands wrote:

both mention 'package changes' but don't specify what those package changes are.

Post up a redacted copy of the bill for a second opinion if it would help. Have you made any changes to your services on the dates listed against the "package change".

goslow has already answered about the final bill process, but as a headline view - until you are actually disconnected, there is the possibility you may remain a customer. And so billing continues - this is common across the UK telecoms industry.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

thebands
On our wavelength

"VM continues to bill you as per normal right up until the day you are disconnected (so the bills keep on coming as per their normal schedule)."

So can anyone tell me how long after my disconnection date (26th May) does it take VM to produce my final bill and how long after that until they credit back anything they owe me?

It stinks of sharp practice, knowingly taking monies from customers for periods where the contract is ended. Says it all really about the whole retention process, the enormous price hikes to long standing customers (£107 for broadband and TV with BT Sport!; that's £1300 a year, think about it!), the 'offers' that are only available for new customers, the way that disconnections hang up on you when trying to cancel, the way that disconnections lie to you (yes lie! They actually told me that if I waited another month to cancel that the prices might go down - as if!), the way that 3rd party firms suddenly start phoning you multiple times a day after you have cancelled, never leaving a voicemail. The way they try to sell broadband speeds, Gigabit speeds that your average household could never really take advantage of. Horrible company. Can't wait to be rid.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@thebands wrote:

Read through https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving under "how does my final bill work?"

thebands
On our wavelength

Read through https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving under "how does my final bill work?

"If your account is in credit, the amount will be refunded to you 45 days from your disconnection date (we need this time for everything to be updated with any additional charges or credits once your account has been closed)."

Proves my point! There is no rational reason why VM need to take monies beyond the disconnection date and no rational reason why it takes 45 days to process a refund in a modern digital based company. Enjoy the 45days interest you are making on my £107 VM you bunch of money grabbing *****. I don't think I will entertain being a VM customer ever again.

unisoft
Knows their stuff

After disconnection, you will probably find if that money has not yet been taken, it will be re-adjusted in My Virgin media Portal for billing and be wiped out. Ignore the emails that come in near disconnection as they are stupid and wrong. Mine said I owed money and to pay immediately. Of course I owed money, as the last "proper" months bill had not be taken by VM themselves by Direct Debit yet as not the usual date as yet.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello thebands

Sorry to hear of the confusion around the bill received following your request to disconnect services.

As the other members of the forums have advised, we require 30 days notice to cancel services. During this time we will continue to bill you as usual so a bill will be received during that time. Once the services are disconnected a revised final bill will be produced taking into account any payments made for services after the disconnection date.

Depending on the balance at that time, we will request the revised amount form your bank or arrange for a refund of any credit balance there may be.

thebands
On our wavelength

Hey RobertP, thanks for the reply.

But if you take the time to read my complaint VM have billed me for a period AFTER my disconnection date, having ALREADY GIVEN 30 DAYS NOTICE, and then apparently it will take a further 45 days to get the MONEY I DO NOT OWE TO VM REFUNDED

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have billed you for a period after your proposed disconnection date, but until your services are cancelled, they remain live.

If the bill were generated after an actual disconnection, that would be different.

There might be a bill adjustment between disconnection & DD being taken, but that's another issue.