cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account email address can’t be ntlworld/virginmedia.com??

Hoffmeister
Joining in

Hi - just had to reset password on my wife’s email account which had locked out for unknown reasons; I think I’ve reset the password OK, however as part of the process I had to change her account email address away from her <name>@ntlworld.com address so that it would send me the reset emails, so I used a work email address. Now trying to change it back again but it won’t let me enter an ntlworld.com email address…?

I thought it might be an ntlworld issue so tried a virginmedia.com address but it refused that too. So currently her home VM account ID is my work email address.
Any idea why I can’t set the VM account email ID back to an ntlworld.com (or virginmedia.com) one? I can’t believe I need to set up a gmail account to manage a VM account …

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Hoffmeister 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Wife's email account - glad to hear you were able to get this sorted yourself! 

It sounds as though this is due to the updated settings for second-factor-authentication. (You require a non Virgin media / Ntlworld / Blueyonder address for resetting the account password if needed.) You manage email accounts via a My VM account, which you are now logging in and managing the account (including updating the password) with via the 'work email address'. 

You can read more about managing email accounts here 👉 How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help and managing your My VM account here 👉 How to manage my account | Virgin Media Help

Hope this helps to clear things up! Let us know if there is anything else we can offer help with. Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Hoffmeister 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear about the issues with your Wife's email account - glad to hear you were able to get this sorted yourself! 

It sounds as though this is due to the updated settings for second-factor-authentication. (You require a non Virgin media / Ntlworld / Blueyonder address for resetting the account password if needed.) You manage email accounts via a My VM account, which you are now logging in and managing the account (including updating the password) with via the 'work email address'. 

You can read more about managing email accounts here 👉 How to manage my email account | Virgin Media Help and managing your My VM account here 👉 How to manage my account | Virgin Media Help

Hope this helps to clear things up! Let us know if there is anything else we can offer help with. Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

Thanks! Yes, it seems almost deliberately vague on the Help pages

• ‘Email - your email address like gmail.com or hotmail.com’

as any existing VM customer would go ‘Oh, I’ll just use the Virgin email that I have as part of my package’ - nope, you HAVE to have another one. I assume next they’ll want a non-Virgin phone number to manage my account with VM landline and mobile….!