cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

landline voicemail

dinosaur2
Joining in

Can I extend the ring time on my landline voicemail to the maximum - which I think is 10 rings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello dinosaur2.

I am 100% sure the engineer wont be able to extend the ring for you.

Sorry if you were mis informed.

But I can do that today if you like.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dinosaur2,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

If you're looking to extend the ring time on your landline before it goes to voicemail, you can find more information and steps on how to do that here.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

thanks Zak

I'll do this. I was just hoping to avoid an endless wait for someone to answer on 150

Hello dinosaur2.

Can you please let me know how you get on when you call.

If you have no joy, let me know and I can send you a private message to pass security.

That way it is possible to extend the ringtone to a maximum of 30 seconds.

Gareth_L

Thanks Gareth

I've tried 150 but been told nothing can be done because "I've already got an engineer booked for a separate job to do with my landline" (ie putting in extra wiring between my hub and my landline location in preparation for the switch to fibre).  I don't understand the logic of this as they are completely separate issues. 

I was then told that the engineer who's coming to do the job would also be able to do the voicemail at the same time.  I will certainly request this but have little confidence that it will actually happen (based on past experience of what I've been told engineers will do and what they actually can do).  I suppose all I can do is wait and see.

Hello dinosaur2.

I am 100% sure the engineer wont be able to extend the ring for you.

Sorry if you were mis informed.

But I can do that today if you like.

If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check your logo at the  top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hi Gareth (or any other forum team member that might be monitoring this thread),

Can you please do the "private message thing" for me?

I wish to have my voicemail turned off but it appears that I am unable to do so without spending hours on hold on the telephone.

As an aside, I realise that voice services probably do not make Virgin much money these days, but there really needs to be some investment in making the website correct. As I think has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread and community, there are a number of places where incorrect information is provided:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/set-up-landline-voicemail claims under "How to switch off free voicemail" - Call 1571 and choose the option to cancel Free Voicemail. I have called 1571 but there is no option to cancel free voicemail.

On this page: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/managing-your-landline-calling-features the link "Find out how to set up landline voicemail here." takes me to the O2 Mobile voicemail information. This was pointed out by NotDodgy in this post https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/disable-voicemail-on-landline/m-p/5136720 in December 2022.

Taking over a year not to address this issue does not reflect well on Virgin......

And surely having Forum Team members having to intervene repeatedly on this issue is less financially efficient than actually fixing the website?

Hi @Mollywolly,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having some trouble disabling the free voicemail service. May I ask why it is that you're looking to remove it? If it's a matter of calls being divert to voicemail too quickly before being able to answer, would you like to look at extending the rings instead first or would you rather proceed with removing it?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Mollywolly
Joining in

Hi Zach,

Thank you for responding so promptly.

The answer to your question is that I wish to use the answerphone that comes bundled with my pack of cordless phones.

From what I understand, your proposal that the number of rings is increased could work - because I can set the answerphone on the cordless phone to pick up one ring before the Virgin voicemail does.

However, it appears to be equally difficult for me to alter the number of rings on the Virgin voicemail due to there not being any options available if I call it... 

My reason of looking to disable Virgin voicemail rather than alter the number of rings is that it offers less room for technical contention.

Hi @Mollywolly,

No problem, thanks for expanding and clarifying the situation. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so that we can assist further. Please respond to this when you can and we'll proceed from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team