cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Landline - Can't make outgoing calls

VicandBob
On our wavelength

I'm not able to make calls on my Virgin landline. I can receive calls, but every time I dial to make a call, I'm just put straight through to the Virgin Media helpline - whatever number I dial. I've checked the Virgin Media website and can't see that there are any problems in our area, but can't get through to speak to a real person at Virgin Media without holding for hours on end.

63 REPLIES 63

VicandBob
On our wavelength

I'm at work at the moment so can't try unplugging the phone at home.  I'll text my partner and ask him to try again, however, he tried unplugging and replugging in the landline on Friday last week when we first noticed it wasn't working, and this had no effect.  I was told when I rang your helpline on Saturday that our phone had been disabled by Virgin because we needed to be migrated to the Superhub 3 and that we had to have our phone line through a superhub rather than through a separate socket.  It's not something that we want to happen at all.  Everything works absolutely fine as it is, we have good internet speeds and I don't really want the phone to go through the hub, as if our internet goes down for any reason, we won't be able to make phone calls from our landline.  It seems to me that nobody really knows why our landline isn't working properly and that we've just been told various different things, none of which are actually true.  I was assured on Saturday that Virgin had done this to our phone.  I was also advised that we had to be moved to a Superhub 3 and had no choice, but was promised that there would be no difference in the price for this.  I'd be really grateful if someone could look into this properly and advise why our phone isn't working, and whether we actually do have to upgrade to a Superhub 3 or not, as nobody from Virgin had contacted us about this before our phone line went down, so it all seems very odd to me.  None of my friends who use Virgin internet have been told this either.

So there was a restriction as my colleague advised, this was removed when we've done a system check so everything now should be working. Changing to the phone service via cable is a government objective and this has to be completed by 2025, we are choosing to take the change over now to ensure all of our customers have been migrated prior to the current telephone exchange being closed down in 2025. 

This means the phone will be ran via the hub, the hub minimum requirements is a hub 3 which if you have not got, we will be sending you. Currently there's no restriction so we are doing general diagnostics to sort this out, the first of which is to unplug the handset and to replug in for me. Let me know how that goes.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

VicandBob
On our wavelength

My partner has just unplugged it and replugged it in and says there is no difference.  We can receive calls but still can't make outgoing calls.  It just puts us straight through to Virgin, whichever number we dial.

Thanks for coming back to me. It will need a technician visit based on the system checks ran. 

I'll send you a PM now.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello @VicandBob
Thanks so much for your private message and confirming your address, I have now booked you a visit for the telephone issue – you can check the date and time via your online account - virg.in/myVM - If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi VicandBob, it should be viewable within 1 hour but go off the Forum PM I sent you for the date 🙂 

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Blamb
Tuning in

I to have the same problem. Had no idea this was a problem until I went to use my landline today was not informed of this at all. Phoned virgin media today wasn’t understanding what I was being told something about a block being put on my phone,first I was told I needed an engineer to come out to switch me over and he would book one, then was told he couldn’t do it from his end and the block would be taken off and I would be able to use my phone within the next four hours. Still cannot make phone calls it just puts me straight through to virgin media helpline, which was no help whatsoever

@Blamb wrote:

I to have the same problem. Had no idea this was a problem until I went to use my landline today was not informed of this at all. Phoned virgin media today wasn’t understanding what I was being told something about a block being put on my phone,first I was told I needed an engineer to come out to switch me over and he would book one, then was told he couldn’t do it from his end and the block would be taken off and I would be able to use my phone within the next four hours. Still cannot make phone calls it just puts me straight through to virgin media helpline, which was no help whatsoever

As I understand it, this ‘block’ is when VM have sent an email to you requesting that you get in touch regarding an engineer visit to sort out the conversion and you haven’t answered to arrange same. Of course this being VM there is a good chance that no such email or message was ever sent, but whatever!

Any outgoing calls are deliberately redirected in a hope that it will prompt you into getting in touch with them.

The offshore VM helpline being ‘no help whatsoever’, why I couldn’t possibly comment…..😉

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Blamb,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to our Forums.

Sorry to hear you're also having issues with this. So I can assist you further and get a Technician booked in, I'm going to pop you a private message. Please look out for it in the purple envelope in the top-right of the forums.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Blamb,

Thanks for popping back to my PMs. I'm glad you've been able to get things resolved over the phone, this morning. Please let me know if you have any further issues after your Technician visit.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ