cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally sick of phone calls from Virgin Media - TOTALLY!

pentode
On our wavelength

I have posted here because it is my Home Phone.

I am totally sick of Virgin Media call center wringing about my internet speed STOP IT NOW!

So muchg so I WILL REFUSE to speak to ANY Indian callcenter... The numbers WILL get BLOCKED half the time you can unbderstand what is being said and DO NOT KNOW if they ARE Virgin Media since the numbvers that phoned are UNKNOWN.

1st call removed a Swindon code number and then removed I am SURE you get the message UNRECOGNISED numbers WILL BE BLOCKED.

Sooner my contract ends the better!

David.

[MOD EDIT: Numbers removed]

9 REPLIES 9

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @pentode 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Can you expand on what the calls are relating? I'm not totally sure from what you've posted, they are indeed from us.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

pentode
On our wavelength

Thank you John

The calls happened three or four times, they all were relating to internet speed informing they may be slower than usual anfd some was asking if I noticed they were slower than usual, the numbers I gave are now blocked on my phone and shown as blocked'.

Any unusal or unrecognised phone numbers I now  check up on, they were ALL clearly from a call center I could hear other Indian voices handling other calls..... I have heard the same racket when phoning Virgin Media help line.

If a company can't or dare not show their number then that company is worthless this INCLUDES Virgin Media!  This IS EXACTLY the same when you make complaint's to them now isn't it.... plus you end up on hold for hours on end - all done deliberately in my book and I don't need to say why.

David

Thanks for coming back to me, David.

That wouldn't be us calling you.

See more here - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/security/dealing-with-fraudulent-calls-and-vishing

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

pentode
On our wavelength

I just got to thank you for that..... leaving me puzzled.

I have heard exact  same kind of background racket when I've been phoning Virgin Media when complaining about either broadband or telephone problems... selecting phone options comes to mind when phoning Virgins contact number and selecting options, so much so I ended up writing a complaint to head office because the English was barely recognisable 'I' will repeat this was when calling Virgins contact number and selectting options.

Could it be that Virgin Media is being hacked or targetted? As said the background noise is/was very similar.

No I can confirm it's not, David.

If you see the link I sent, this sounds like a phishing scam to me. Whereby the caller would attempt to get you to install some software on your device.

We would never phone a customer regarding their broadband speed unless they have of course raised a case for a speed issue and selected 'call' as their choice of contact. 

Better to be safe than sorry so you've done the right thing asking 🙂

John_GS
Forum Team

Client62
Legend

Treat these scam callers as you would a red hot KT88 & keep your fingers off the telephone.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pentode wrote:

I have posted here because it is my Home Phone.

I am totally sick of Virgin Media call center wringing about my internet speed STOP IT NOW!

So muchg so I WILL REFUSE to speak to ANY Indian callcenter... The numbers WILL get BLOCKED half the time you can unbderstand what is being said and DO NOT KNOW if they ARE Virgin Media since the numbvers that phoned are UNKNOWN.

1st call removed a Swindon code number and then removed I am SURE you get the message UNRECOGNISED numbers WILL BE BLOCKED.

Sooner my contract ends the better!

David.

[MOD EDIT: Numbers removed]

1) It is a scam call centre phoning you.

2) If your Home Phone still has an original VM allocated number the scammers are ASSUMING you are a VM customer. There are lists of allocated numbers freely available from the OFCOM website, it does not require a data breach.

3) The numbers calling you are fake, & are more than likely clones of genuine business & residential customers numbers. Scammers change these on a daily basis, & as our antiquated switched phone system has no way of knowing where a call originating from the internet is coming from, there is no way of filtering them on the network. It is a universal problem which only full VoIP operation can fix, & that is a year or so away yet.

I can assure you, no matter what provider you are with, you will still get these calls.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

pentode
On our wavelength

Thank you all who replied....KT88 eh? I can think of much bigger bottles and 'up' the anode voltage.

Yes, I never give details or discuss anything with these 'clowns', I usually let them gabble on until they stop not saying a word, then ring off n' block.... with the racket in the background you don't know what you can learn.

I do find it mighty odd I had the same kinda racket when phoning VM number and selecting the options phoning more than once..... and waiting lightyears to get through - that IS annoying and speaks volumes for a company of ANY kind.

Just don't auto renew my account!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only coincidence is that most offshore call centres sound alike. VM does subcontract offshore to India amongst other places. Call centre workers can be taking calls from customers of several technology companies in the same day.

The trouble with India is the lack of rules regarding how these centres are set up.  If you have watched the plethora of TV programmes around at the moment dealing with scam traffic, you will see how easily these scam centres can operate alongside genuine business in the same or adjacent buildings.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks