cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Party Voip

bluemoontg
Tuning in

My VM phone contract (and broadband) expires soon. I'd like to go to a 3rd party VOIP provider (like Vonage or AA). Does anyone know if I can connect a 3rd party VOIP phone through one of the ports on the back of my Hub 3? I know it doesn't connect via the port marked phone

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can also use an ATA Gateway and plug this into your Hub 3 and keep your existing phones.  Have a look at the Grandstand range. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey bluemoontg, thank you for reaching out and right now we have paused all our VOIP migrations.

When we do start to do them again you will be notified.  

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Client62
Alessandro Volta

We have Cisco VOIP / SIP telephone kit and 3 numbers with Sipgate (one number was ported from BT), our system has a Hub 3 in Router mode, the VOIP service works well and has been operational since Winter 2017.

So absolutely yes you can connect a VOIP phone(s) into the network sockets of a VM Hub and use a SIP/VOIP account from provider like Vonage or Andrew & Arnold. 

If this is your first step into VOIP, perhaps take a look at the setup guides on the Vonage or Andrew & Arnold websites, it will provide an idea of what kit to buy and what needs to be done to configure the VOIP phone.

Thank you for posting this advice. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I was trying to find out if I could use a 3rd party VOIP provider and connect through my hub ports (not the telephone port). The Virgin phone provision is quite expensive for my low usage and other VOIP providers are much cheaper. I have read on the Forums this can be a problem

Hi Bluemoontg 👋🏼.

Thank you for coming back to this thread 😊.

Virgin Medias home landline service via a connection from TEL1 on the back of the hub is not a VOIP service. Connecting any equipment for that purpose won't work. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can also use an ATA Gateway and plug this into your Hub 3 and keep your existing phones.  Have a look at the Grandstand range. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Good point.  We have a Cisco SPA112 ATA providing a dedicated analogue telephone line for a building alarm.

I don't want to use the Virgin telephone port. I want to use one of the other ports. But some posts mention that the Hub 3 does not enable you to turn off SIP ALG and this causes problems with some 3rd party VOIP providers

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That should be "Grandstream" btw.   I'll blame autocorrect  😉