cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement VOIP phone for existing DECT into hub

marky9074
On our wavelength

We currently have an ancient Panasonic DECT system (base and handsets) plugged into the hub (well patched through my home flood wiring). This has stopped working, and given we are on fibre and therefore VoIP there seems little point in buying a replacement DECT phone base?

I started looking at DECT compatible VoIP phones, namely the Yealink ones, and it seems like they are DECT compatible in that you can pair your old existing DECT phones to the base, but doesn't have the ability to plug in to the analogue line in of the hub.

I guess what I am thinking is that as it's using VoIP we can just use any VoIP phone and there must be SIP settings from VirginMedia (maybe I am oversimplifying things).

Anyway, think I have explained it correctly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated on a replacement mid-range phone.

7 REPLIES 7

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @marky9074, and welcome back!

Any modern landline phone or DECT cordless units can be used with VM 21CV hub based lines.

From previous reading on the Forums, the Panasonic DECT KX-TGC423 handsets with answering machine are recommended by one of our VIPs.

But as advised, any modern landline phone would be compatible.

Thanks,

David_Bn

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your VM landline is not a true VOIP connection. The phone socket on the back of the VM hub behaves like a normal telephone wall socket and is designed for ordinary domestic telephones such as your Panasonic DECT system.

If you want to use VOIP you would need to sign up with a VOIP service provider.

marky9074
On our wavelength

Thanks for the replies. Okay to rephrase my question - does a phone exist that can be plugged into the back of the VM hub to replace my existing Panasonic DECT system and also be VoIP compatible so that I have the best of both worlds functionality wise.

marky9074
On our wavelength

Hmm yes there is. Looks like there are various Siemens Gigaset phones that can do both.... I will take a closer look at them.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Gigaset do hybrid phones but you'd still need a separate service from a VOIP provider to make use of the VOIP features of the phone. Otherwise you'd be paying for a comparatively expensive phone, to only be able to use the standard DECT features of it on your VM landline.

marky9074
On our wavelength

That's fine, the ones I am looking at are not overly expensive and I would rather futureproof than get another standard DECT phone even if I have no intentions currently to take up a VOIP service.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Seems a little pointless to me. If you lose Broadband or the power goes off you lose both lines. Just got rid of my second line (which was VoIP) & invested in a 4G feature phone. Can use it just for calls, but if the Broadband falls over or the power fails it has full USB & WiFi tethering facilities so I can stay connected.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks