cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port a telephone number to VoIP

Shozer
Tuning in

Due to the imminent removal of traditional landlines I'd prefer to port my current landline number to a VoIP provider ( as my VM Hub isn't in a suitable location for a landline) - so I may as well port it and be able to use VoIP on my mobile phone without all the hassle of phone adaptors / sockets etc.
However I suspect that if I drop my landline from my VM package I'll be told that I lose all my bundle discounts - so the question is can I port my current landline number, and just ask VM to replace it with a new landline number (any random number) in order to keep the bundle deal I'm currently on ? 

7 REPLIES 7

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Shozer 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

I am so sorry for any confusion regarding the landline switch over, we are able to support the switch and will be contacting customers to advise of when their area will be moved to fibre connection, we can also arrange an appointment with an engineer to move the Hub and/or landline to a more suitable location if needed. 

Thanks for the reply. At the moment my phone and Hub come in at separate locations. I'm happy if that can still be done, but my understanding was that the phone now ran off the Hub ? I don't want the Hub moving as I have a number of devices connected to it via an Ethernet switch where it is. Likewise I don't want the phone near the Hub or there will be a visible cable running down the front of a stone fireplace.

So are you saying that the Hub can remain where it is, the phone where it is - and there be no need for a wire between the two ?

Assuming that can't be done - is it possible to move my current landline number to VoIP and just be assigned a new landline number without impacting my bundle pricing ? 

It would also seem preferable to move my current number to an external VoIP provider for other reasons too - such as I can still receive calls on it in a power outage and I can receive calls on it when outside the house. I'm really not seeing much benefit in a fixed landline using VoIP (other than to keep a bundle pricing deal) to be honest. Or am I missing something ? 

Thank you for popping back @Shozer 

When we reach out to advise that the switch over is happening in your area, you can reach out to us here or via the 150/0345 454 1111 to arrange an appointment with an engineer if needed.

The engineer would be able to advise on what they can arrange, but we couldn't confirm ourselves here on what set up would be possible.

Ok - thanks and understood.

Are you able to answer the original question though ? (ie. can I port my current landline number, and just ask VM to replace it with a new landline number (any random number) in order to keep the bundle deal I'm currently on ?) 

My apologies for missing that @Shozer and to clarify yes you can port your number to another provider. 

Thank you again. 

Thanks - that's my suspicion too. I understand what you are saying re. VM hoping I'll use it, but once they move to VoIP it sounds like I'll be without a landline anyway unless I want to end up with an eyesore in terms of wiring in the living room. I think I might just have to wait until my contract is due for renewal and negotiate or leave at that point, or bite the bullet now and just get a new 'landline' number with another VoIP provider.

Thanks for the reply @Shozer on the VM forums. 👋🏼

One way around this would be to get a 2nd line added on.
This way we could port over the original number to your new VOIP provider and then the services could still be kept with the bundles / discount with the 2nd line which would then become the new main line for your VM package.

Have a think and let us know and we can go on from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs