cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone, calling it from mobile immediately drops call without any ringing tone

disrupted
On our wavelength

Hi,

My landline has no dial tone and, even more interestingly, call to that number from my mobile immediately drops the call without ringing out or hearing any ringing tone on the mobile (neither does it sound engaged - as it immediately disconnects).

It is NOT the landline phone itself, there is crackling on the line and faint background noise - and it not being plugged in has the very same behaviour when landline number if called. 

Service status shows no problem with any of my services. 

Has anybody had this recently? Getting hold of VM is virtually impossible as usual... of course. 

Thanks for any VM staff that might pick this up via forum... one can only hope. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi disrupted, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your landline service. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi disrupted, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear you're having an issue with your landline service. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a direct message to allow us to do this with you in a private space. If you are using a PC/Laptop then you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox. If you are on a mobile/tablet device then instead click on the little circle icon in the top right then select 'Messages'. 😊

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

disrupted
On our wavelength

Thank you, I have now provided the necessary details in the message. 

Hi disrupted,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 🤩

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here 👉 My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. Please note it can take up to 24 hours to show but you should also receive a text message with the details. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• ➡ The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • ➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • ➡ The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
  • ➡ The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment. If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

We will continue to monitor your services and if we can see that the fault has cleared and the visit is no longer required we will cancel the appointment and let you know by text and email.

Let us know how the appointment goes. 😊

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

disrupted
On our wavelength

Thanks, I checked via the app the date/time and I shall be definitely at home for that. 

In case the issue is random, I'll try to give updates if any change is noticed. 

Thank you for that. We will wait to hear how the visit goes.

^Martin

disrupted
On our wavelength

Hi,

an update that might help others, too with similar symptoms: it seems the lines are failing - and the engineer is very aware, those are being moved to digital services (and he did so in my case during the visit).

So the original analogue landline was left as is, the phone was moved to the Hub, he set up the digital service for it, waited for it to come alive and it then behaves like the old analogue socket.

Apparently these switchboxes that are failing in the network are being phased out, and my connection just happened to give out the ghost earlier.