cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline moving to digital issue

Cire
On our wavelength

One of the reasons I kept my landline is because if the power fails, I can still make emergency calls. Now Virgin Media is forcing me to switch to their digital service - but without any reduction in the cost. I phoned the help line and explained that I don't have room next to my hub for my telephone and answer machine, so she sent out an engineer to "explain it to me".  He came and realised that as my hub is in one room and my telephone sits in another, there would be extensive wiring that would basically lock my telephone permanently in one place.  He also agreed that there was no room near my hub and no spare socket either.  The lady I had spoken with assured me that my telephone wouldn't need a socket as it would plug into the device! 

So it was left with the understanding that I would have to give up my landline and rely on my mobile phone, and that would be the end of the matter.

However, last week I received a text message AND an email advising me that the new adaptor would be sent to me!  So I spent another wasted 30 minutes on the phone explaining why I didn't want it and that an engineer had already been to my place to check out its viability. The man said he would cancel my telephone contract?

Today, have received another text saying that the adapter has been sent to me to connect my home phone to the Virgin Media Hub!!  Doesn't anyone communicate with each other at Virgin Media any more.  Now I'm considering cancelling my Virgin contract because of this.

11 REPLIES 11

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I believe I'm right in saying that most modern DECT systems have a message waiting indicator all handsets. So, you can have the base station plugged into the hub and an additional handset in another part of the home. If memory serves me right Panasonic handsets use a flashing red light to indicate a MWI.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hey there @DavFB Thanks for reaching out to us on the Virgin Media forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are having with the landline.
The switchover has been held on hold at the moment for all communication providers but we will be contacting customers to let them know when we are ready to continue.

We can do a relocation of the hub for you, this does mean a callout charge of £25 unless it is for the home phone switchover.
Let us know if you'd like to go ahead and I'll send a private message to further assist.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs