cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping landline number after spouse dies

mcneilt
On our wavelength

Hi, My elderly father died in dec2023, and he had a 2 year contract with Virgin Media. He was a customer for over 30 years. I hoped my elderly mother living at the same address could get a better deal as a new customer, but virgin will only allow if she changes her landline number! This seems ridiculous. In my opinion it demonstrates terrible customer service and worst of all, greed.

31 REPLIES 31

mcneilt
On our wavelength

Hi, My elderly father died in dec2023, and he had a 2 year contract with Virgin Media. He was a customer for over 30 years. I hoped my elderly mother living at the same address could get a better deal as a new customer, but virgin will only allow if she changes her landline number! This seems ridiculous. In my opinion it demonstrates terrible customer service and worst of all, greed.

Hi mcneilt

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

We are very sorry to hear about your loss.

Our bereavement team will be able to do a transfer of responsibility, this is where the existing account is transferred into a new account holder name. If she would like to do this, she will be able to keep the phone number.

If however the account is cancelled, and she sets up a new account as a new customer, it may not be possible to port the landline due to the limitations of transferring a number on the same line. 

If keeping the landline number is important, we would recommend a transfer of responsibility and not a full disconnection.

To arrange this, please contact our bereavement team on 0800 952 2302.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mcneilt
On our wavelength

Hi,

"If however the account is cancelled, and she sets up a new account as a new customer, it may not be possible to port the landline due to the limitations of transferring a number on the same line. "

When you say 'may' what do you mean? Either she can set up an account as a new customer or she can't. Can you please clarify.

The option of "transfer of responsibility" means she would not get the benefits of being a new customer, i.e. the best deals. It means the cost is passed on to my mother, and this is too expensive. If staying with Virgin Media she needs a much cheaper bill but it seems you are unable to offer this.

Thank you for coming back to us Mcneilt.

If you give our team a call on the above number they will be able to further assist you and accommodate to what is best for you and your family. 

She can set us as a new customer however she may not be able to transfer the number over to her new account. 

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mcneilt
On our wavelength

Also, " If keeping the landline number is important, we would recommend a transfer of responsibility and not a full disconnection."

Err, she is 82, obviously keeping landline is important. So it means you are only really offering '"transfer of responsibility". Effectively you are offering that she takes on the responsibility from her dead husband, and an expensive bill. This isn't a very customer friendly option for dealing with bereavement. It makes me very angry and disappointed in your customer service for loyal customers.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service and this is not the experience which we wish to supply. Once the account has been transferred the landline number will be transferred to the new account. Can you confirm if the bereavement team have now transferred the account?   

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

mcneilt
On our wavelength

I still have the number. please give me your contact number I will call you.

mcneilt
On our wavelength

called number, 0800 952 2302. not open at weekends .....

We are an online contact method and we would contact you here. If you wish to discuss the account with the bereavement team then they can be contacted on 0800 952 2302 and they will either disconnect the account or transfer the account to another person. We are unable to do transfer of accounts here. 

Ari - Forum Team