cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get an available landline number?

Conrad2024
Joining in

Hi all.

Had landline disabled a few weeks ago. I'd like it to be enabled again.

If the original number I was given is available, will I have to take that or can I choose another?

The one I need is the one I had with Plusnet a few years ago. I rang it and it seems available due to the long tone I could hear. It also showed as 'number not valid' (or words to that effect) on my mobile.

If possible, would I need to contact Plusnet or just Virgin?

Presumably since the number's not available, no-one really owns it except for maybe BT?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM can only port in numbers from an ACTIVE account with another provider. Your PlusNet number, which was actually leased from BT, will now be on BTs customer re-allocation pool for their customers. VM no longer has rights to it as the lease ends once the landline account holding the number has closed.

VM will allocate you a vacant number from their own pool of numbers. Bear in mind that all numbers are recycled, so you are likely to still get calls aimed at the previous user.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM can only port in numbers from an ACTIVE account with another provider. Your PlusNet number, which was actually leased from BT, will now be on BTs customer re-allocation pool for their customers. VM no longer has rights to it as the lease ends once the landline account holding the number has closed.

VM will allocate you a vacant number from their own pool of numbers. Bear in mind that all numbers are recycled, so you are likely to still get calls aimed at the previous user.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks nodrogd.

And would it be possible for Virgin to 'ask' BT if they can have that particular number so it can be passed on to myself?

Thanks for coming back to the thread @Conrad2024, and a very warm welcome to you!

As @nodrogd advises, this will be in the available phone number pool that BT access.

We would only be able to offer phone number we have available in our pool of available phone numbers currently.

Thanks,

David_Bn

Thanks David. And would Virgin (or any other provider) have access to BT's pool of numbers?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Conrad2024 wrote:

Thanks nodrogd.

And would it be possible for Virgin to 'ask' BT if they can have that particular number so it can be passed on to myself?

As I said. Virgin has no rights to use it once you terminate your telephone account. They cannot ask for it back.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Conrad2024 wrote:

Thanks David. And would Virgin (or any other provider) have access to BT's pool of numbers?

No. Only if you have an active account with BT that has a BT number attached can you ask for that number to be ported to Virgin. If that Virgin account is then terminated it has to be handed back to the original allocated provider. OFCOM allocates numbers in blocks to providers & this is all that OFCOMs porting rules allow them to do.

I'd have to advise that this would be highly unlikely.

Thanks,

David_Bn