cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone wiring

Richiejenn
Joining in

My telephone line has just been switched over to the new VoIP system plugging into my router. (Wasn’t told of the switchover and only found when I reported the fault to virgin. My old master socket is in a different room however the old phone cable runs next to my router. I want to connect the master socket wiring into the hub so I don’t need to move phone. Is this possible? There are only two cables connected to the master socket. Please can someone explain which cable needs to connect into a new phone connector to plug into the adaptor virgin supplied?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Client62
Legend

One would first disconnect the exchange line at the master socket - take care as it may still have 48 volts DC enabled.

Then connect the centre pair of the RJ11 from the Hub to contacts 2 and 5 of any telephone socket.
( or one could use a long modem cable )

Home phone sockets are wired like this ... 

Client62_0-1677416660195.png

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Richiejenn,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums. All customers should have been informed of the change over via email, letter or sms. 

I can arrange a technician appointment from here to get your connections re-wired, this would be free of charge as part of the changeover but would need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment. Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Client62
Legend

One would first disconnect the exchange line at the master socket - take care as it may still have 48 volts DC enabled.

Then connect the centre pair of the RJ11 from the Hub to contacts 2 and 5 of any telephone socket.
( or one could use a long modem cable )

Home phone sockets are wired like this ... 

Client62_0-1677416660195.png

Thanks Client62,

I had the virgin engineer out last week and he tried a few things although not sure exactly what he was doing. After he had gone it dawned on me what the problem was. I connected a telephone plug to the wiring to master socket connecting pins 2,3,4 and 5. Then at the master socket disconnected other end of cable and connected to the front plate connector (where you would wire extension sockets normally) at the same pins. All works perfectly now so I can keep phone next to “master” socket.