cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with keeping old landline number

Scar1305
Joining in

I have recently taken out a new VM contract in my name as my now ex partner is moving out and will bevcancelling his VM contract which was in his name.

I specifically requested when taking out the new contract in my name, to keep the same landline. I was told that it would not be a problem so my ex partner cancelled his contract which has now been disconnected.

My new services have now been installed with a new landline number. I have been going around in circles with this and have now been told that I cannot have the old number as it has been deleted off the available number list.

Please can someone advise.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Scar1305 wrote:

I have recently taken out a new VM contract in my name <snip>

This gets regular mentions on here and, in past cases AFAIK, you can't transport a landline number when one account closes and a new one opens in a new name (this is despite VM agents frequently telling customers it is possible).

Do you know which telecoms provider is the 'owner' of the number is (you can check at the link below)?

https://portal.aql.com/telecoms/network_lookup.php

If the owner of the number is not VM, the number returns to the number owner when the original VM account closes (e.g. if you ported a BT number to VM in the past the number goes back to BT).

If VM owns the original number, it goes back into a pool of numbers owned by VM where it remains for reallocation. AIUI, if VM does own the original number it may (theoretically) be possible for VM to renumber your line with the original number but I can't recall any past topics where it has been reported back that this has happened (most likely because VM does not have a standard process to readily do it).

Do update the topic with how you get on. It will be useful for others in the future in the same situation to know the outcome.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Scar1305 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I'm very sorry to hear of this as it would be a new landline number.

I'll send you a PM now to discuss further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Scar1305 wrote:

I have recently taken out a new VM contract in my name <snip>

This gets regular mentions on here and, in past cases AFAIK, you can't transport a landline number when one account closes and a new one opens in a new name (this is despite VM agents frequently telling customers it is possible).

Do you know which telecoms provider is the 'owner' of the number is (you can check at the link below)?

https://portal.aql.com/telecoms/network_lookup.php

If the owner of the number is not VM, the number returns to the number owner when the original VM account closes (e.g. if you ported a BT number to VM in the past the number goes back to BT).

If VM owns the original number, it goes back into a pool of numbers owned by VM where it remains for reallocation. AIUI, if VM does own the original number it may (theoretically) be possible for VM to renumber your line with the original number but I can't recall any past topics where it has been reported back that this has happened (most likely because VM does not have a standard process to readily do it).

Do update the topic with how you get on. It will be useful for others in the future in the same situation to know the outcome.

Thank you, the number look up has been very helpful. It appears that the original number has probably gone back to BT.