cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Virgin been spoofed?

EddyFiss
Tuning in

I've been getting a lot of calls from "Virgin, your internet provider"  First it was on my home phone number - just twice - then it has been about five  more on my mobile. I've blocked the number but calls are still coming.

So,

Q1 how did these guys get my two numbers.?
Q2 do they have a hidden number behind the VM one?
Q3 is the only answer for me to ditch my number and get a different one.?
Q4 anyone else getting the same problem?

The number showing up is 08000525306.

I'd be glad of any help on this, please.

Cheers

Cliff

2 REPLIES 2

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi EddyFiss,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Sincere apologies for any issues faced, regarding the calls you are receiving has it been detailed the reasoning for the call?

Have you been expecting contact from ourselves?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain

Thanks for responding.

The calls are all the same. "We are Virgin Media and are calling to see if you are satisfied with the service you are paying for."

I always answer every phone call with suspicion, but this time it appeared to come from my stepdaughter, so I was in conversation mode when I answered. I answered instinctively and when the caller said (she and he alternately) is that "Xxxx Xxxxxxx?"  I said "yes it was." I feel daft about that now 'cos "they've" got my name - probably had it anyway.

The first question was for my date of birth and I said they didn't need that, so that was followed with account number, post code and mobile number. I refused all that and stopped the call. The following ones were shorter, I just said I was satisfied, goodbye.

Spoke to my stepdaughter to get her to check if her phone has been raided and her contact list stolen. She is still looking.

I blocked the "Virgin" number and since then I've had a few calls listed as missed calls and a text (usual practice with mine) to say I have a message. Two of these, but they are silent - no message. Now deleted.

My apologies for accusing Virgin, 'cos I now know it wasn't them. I don't have many internet accounts and am looking at those. Virgin doesn't have my mobile, nor does Amazon. Most of the others are professional organisations and they are good on security. My present guess is the delivery carriers. Their security must be absolute rubbish, given the number of delivery scams being reported.

After all that, I guess there is nothing you or Virgin can do about any of this. I'll just have to be careful, even for known contacts.

Cheers

Cliff