cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged £235 to receive a phone call

Davebig_FDM
Tuning in

I've just had to pay a £40 fee to get my services back up and running because I kept having the phone ring for half a ring tone on Sunday morning about every 25 mins  even though I picked the phone up and put it straight back down the phone call cost me £235 and the duration of the call according to my bill was just shy of 24 hours. Has this happened to anybody else and how do I go about getting the bill altered so I don't have to pay it. I have an e ginger coming out on Monday morning to check everything 

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There are very regular topics on here about phantom call charges (where the customer gets billed for calls they have not made). Usually there is a fault on the line causing the issue. Occasionally there have been some past scam-related topics to do with 09 premium rate numbers.

How do you connect your telephone to the VM landline? Do you connect via a conventional telephone socket on the wall or do you connect the phone to the back of the VM hub for the line?

Did the incoming call show a number (the prefix/dialling code bit may possibly be relevant)? Some 08 numbers have been associated in the past on here with phantom call charges and elsewhere online there are mentions of certain 08 numbers in relation to scam activity.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Davebig_FDM,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear you have been charged £235 for calls you have not made and that you had to pay £40 to get your phone back on, it sounds like the charge may have put you over you credit limit.

So I can have a look I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the white envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

The number has a local dialing code [MOD EDIT: Personal details] and the duration was just shy of 24 hours the phone is connected into the plastic receptacle where the other virgin wires go to the outside 

Have you sent the private chat invite because I am unable to see a white envelope 

@Davebig_FDM wrote:

The number has a local dialing code [MOD EDIT: Personal details] and the duration was just shy of 24 hours the phone is connected into the plastic receptacle where the other virgin wires go to the outside 

IMHO, your description sounds like a fault on your phone line, or another local line, which has ended up with you being charged rather than one of the usual scam call scenarios.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Davebig_FDM wrote:

Have you sent the private chat invite because I am unable to see a white envelope 

Hi @Davebig_FDM 

Asssuming Paul_DN has indeed sent the PM then if you are using a PC/Laptop  you can just click on the little ✉ at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

If you are on a mobile/tablet device then click on the little circle icon in the top right  and then select 'Messages'

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali