cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low PS5 download speed via ethernet cable

Polster
Tuning in

I recently replaced my PS4 with a PS5 and thought the new console would work well with my Hub 5. Unfortunately I am still suffering from slow download speeds, at best approx. 85MB.

I am connected via a CAT 7 Ethernet cable to a Virgin Pod. I have tested the cable and pod with a laptop and am able to get over 400MB download speeds.

I am only able to get about 80MB if I try WiFi.

Upload speeds are reasonable at 90-100MB.

Any idea why both the PS4 and PS5 cannot reach far better download speeds?

10 REPLIES 10

Polster
Tuning in

I recently replaced my PS4 with a PS5 and thought the new console would work well with my Hub 5. Unfortunately I am still suffering from slow download speeds, at best approx. 85MB.

I am connected via a CAT 7 Ethernet cable to a Virgin Pod. I have tested the cable and pod with a laptop and am able to get over 400MB download speeds.

I am only able to get about 80MB if I try WiFi.

Upload speeds are reasonable at 90-100MB.

Any idea why both the PS4 and PS5 cannot reach far better download speeds?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just check the PS5 is negotiating a Gigabit connection with the Pod, and not a 100Mb one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi there @Polster 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here. 

I am so sorry to hear that you are facing issues with your console! Can I just confirm, have you connected the console via Ethernet to the Pod? 

Yes, the console is connected by Cat 7 Ethernet cable to the Pod.

Yes it is a Gigabit connection.

Hi @Polster, thank you for your response.

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the Hub to see whether that makes any difference? 

Advice on how to do so can be found here

Regards,
Daniel

Yes, I've factory reset the hub both for the PS4 and the PS5.

Hi Polster, 

Thanks for coming back and updating us on this. 

Taking a look at things here, the hub has been on for over 7 days so it doesn't look as though your reset has registered. 

Please hold the pin hole reset button in for a timed 60 seconds. This will ensure the hub is fully reset and this should register this end then. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath,

I had reset the router at numerous points before but gave it another try. 

I held the reset button in for over 60 seconds and re-tested the speeds.

They remained the same.

Thanks,

Neil