cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game is laggy but speed is fine and no packet loss

mm82286
Joining in

For the past few weeks , I’ve been having a this issue where I’m playing online video games such as Fortnite and warzone and I’m having micro lags / delays where in warzone when I pick up something it picks the item up like half a second late and gives a rough / Non smooth feeling , same for Fortnite.

weird thing is , On Fortnite at the top left where there’s a network status bar , it says 0 packet loss but the flat line keeps going thick and thin , where I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to stay thin all the time.

never had this issue before and I changed nothing.

im on wired network as well.

today The engineer came and replaced a few stuff on the socket but still having the same problems for some reasons.

this started happening after I switched to 1GIG few weeks ago.

in the app , when I run a test , it says intermittent issues , will be solved in 24h but this has been saying for the last week or so.

I’m so lost 

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Run the FULL tests on this website and post the results   www.samknows.com/realspeed

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub.

Setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mm82286 👋 welcome to the community forum! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing some issues with lag whilst online gaming. 

The connection reaching your hub is not currently showing no local issues in the area, or any issues with packet loss, although there are a few disconnections being picked up from in the past week. 

Have you noticed any issues with devices outside of your online gaming? 

There are lots of factors that can affect these kinds of issues with online gaming. Packet loss/ Lag that are not always specified to your connection - but can come from whichever user is hosting the server. If there is an issue with the game server itself this is sadly something out of our hands. Due to online gaming including worldwide servers and users, if the host server is in another country (particularly one which is on the other side of the world) this can also cause packet loss and lag. This can happen, and it not directly mean there is an issue with your connection or speeds. 

I will send you a PM to offer further support with the disconnections if needed - please let me know if you have been noticing issues on other devices!  

You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

To say I’m disappointed would be an understatement unfortunately 

I called customer support few days ago after they told me , they need to monitor my connections for 48 hours and after I called them back , The person on the call told me they will send an engineer to replace the cables.

When the Engineer came to replace the cables , he did some test and said their are some issues it seems and he won’t be able to replace the cable and will send another engineer in two weeks.

I agreed and next day called customer support to find out when will the cables be getting replaced.

He said the engineer hasn’t noted anything about getting the cables replaced.

I was confirmed by the engineer that he will send another engineer to replace the cables in 2 weeks.

Now I’m again completely left in the dark.

I took my computer to a friends house who had BT broadband and my computer had 0 issues with the same videos games I play and 0 latency issues.

Thanks for the reply @mm82286 on the VM forums. 👋🏼

I'm so sorry to hear that the issue is still on-going.
I've had a look through the history and I can see our engineers had advised that there are no network issues.

Are you able to setup a BQM graph here?
This will help us monitor where any issues are in terms of spikes, latency and drop outs.

Let us know.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs