cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld email password reset : arrrrgggghhhh!

notsonewuser
Tuning in

Hi all,

midday Saturday , my long used ntlworld email account .  After chasing around in circles , I managed to get to the reset PW screen , where I cannott seem to generate a valid password ! 

Even the random crap generated by firefox's password mangler fails

Yours , exasperated

Bill Todd

13 REPLIES 13

notsonewuser
Tuning in

Well after chasing VM security  (linked from error in mail client)  that the account should be unlocked now.

Apparently , the extremely rare case of trying to inform family ,friends and colleagues of your predicament from a hospital bed  on an NHS free wifi , is suspicious !

However, both attempts to reset password have lead to complete frustrations with VirginMediocre's password requirements*  - I cannot generate a suitable PW , Firefox cannot generate a suitable PW . blind random typing does not work either .

I wonder if the child in charge of VM's 'security', once read a boy's-own book on cryptography  and still believes that "guesses" are part of password cracking .  Although, more likely that the java script password checker is fatally flawed.

There must be at least one password that works! anyone know what it is ?

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @notsonewuser 

Welcome to the community forums

Sorry to hear you're having issues with accessing your emails at this time. 

Do you access your emails through our webpage or through an email client such as Gmail or outlook? 

Do you still have access into your My Virgin Media online account to manage your service account? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley ,

Thanks for your help.

I normally use Thunderbird (linux) or Aquamail (andriod) clients to access email, but have added Gmail since the problem with the NTLWorld.com account.

Currently I can access  my main VM.com account (for internet services etc.) its email is redirected to a Gmail address as suggested by the change password directions. I can receive VM.com mail on all clients but can only send via Gmail.

This morning I received an suggestion from VM-IS to follow a set of instructions :

Unfortunately, the first instruction is to change the main VM password!  Since the java script on the 'change password' page seems to be the big problem , I am very reluctant to do this.

Regards,

Bill

notsonewuser
Tuning in

small update. I just tried to reset password for the ntlworld.com account using duckduckgo (android) and it  accepted the password and, later, I received a success message from VM

BUT, this has not reset the password for theVM IMAP or SMPT servers ....

so do I need to reset my  xxxxxxx@virginmedia.com password?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Changing the My VM and webmail password no longer changes the password for use with email clients.  You need to generate an app password via the My VM account for your Ntlworld email address.

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham_A : Thanks for your help.

Apologies for the delayed reply , I not long out of hostiple and things are still difficult .

The problem now is : I can log into my VM account , access acount details etc.But, when I go to generate App password it asks to change email address to external (I use my gmail account) then it says I have an active change request and refers me back to my email for the password reset . BUT the mail link has now timed-out and I can't get any further .

stop press: I managed to get it to send me another link , I changed password (using firefox !)  ...

Tried to generate App PW  - and I'm back in the same loop........

There's something very broken here

Bill

Hi notsonewuser

We're sorry to hear this isn't resolved.

As its now been over 24 hours, please try this again.

Please follow the below steps.

Sign in to My Virgin Media a. Go to Account settings, then Account details b. Tap Manage next to Manage your Virgin Media Mail app password under Virgin Media Mail c. Then, under Virgin Media Mail app password tap Generate new App password and follow the instructions

A new secure password will be generated for you. Your app password can be used for all apps accessing your Virgin Media mail address. If you create a new app password, you’ll need to update all your existing apps with the new password.

We need to give you a separate app password to help make things more secure as IMAP and POP don’t support extra protection steps, like Multi Factor Authentication.

Remember that this password is separate from your sign in details for My Virgin Media (or any Virgin Media apps). So, if you need to check your Virgin Media Mail emails through My Virgin Media or at mail.virginmedia.com, you'll still use your My Virgin Media password.

Please pop back to us when you can.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks, but it doesn't work..

I get to verify ID where it asks for external email address (i.e. gmail) . I enter my gmail address twice and SAVE:

it pops up with "You've recently requested to change the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media. Please check your emails and verify this change before making further account changes." 

I emailed link is, of course, out of date , so I request another , when that eventually arrives (because gmail is awful) It takes me to a password parser that refuses to accept anything ... and I'm back in the same loop .

At this point I'm seriously thinking of dumping VM in favour of one of the other fibre suppliers  - I only continued with VM because of the email continuity , if I loose the ntlworld address , I might as well start again else where.

Hi notsonewuser,

Thank you for reaching back out, sorry to see what was advised hasn't worked, have you been able to try again since posting?

Regards

Paul.