cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ntlworld email marking as spam

BEF
Up to speed

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.45.12.pngHi, I am trying to reply to an email but it keeps marking their address as SPAM by adding an x at the end of the .com

21 REPLIES 21

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BEF wrote:
I am trying to reply to an email but it keeps marking their address as SPAM by adding an x at the end of the .com

Sorry but I'm not seeing an "x" at the end of email address in your image of the error message.

In the error message the  <  and  >  brackets at the start and end of the email address are just to separate the email address from the rest of the text.

The final part of an email address has to be a "Top-level domain" such as ,com, org, .co.uk etc.

If an "x" was being added to the end of the recipient's  email address that would make it an invalid email address. You would then be getting a non delivery message saying the email could not be delivered  because the recipient's address was "Unrouteable".

The error message you have posted means there is something in the contents of the reply email that VM's outgoing spam filters are saying makes it look like a spam message. It's nothing to do with the address.

The "spam content" could well be a url link in the reply email. By default VM' reply emails include the whole of the message that you are replying to, so the VM's filter;s may well have picked up something in the original email that you received from Selectspecs.

As a workaround and test, I would try replying again but, before you send the reply, scroll down your reply email to the part which shows the main body text of Selectspecs original email,

Then delete the original text and any links copied over from the original Selectspecs email.  It is most likely to be something there causing the problem so by removing that from your reply you may well be able to reply without getting any errors.

Try that and see how it goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Coenoby, Yes I have had those non delivery messages too. But it is not just one email it is happening to. This is a sample of at least the third one I have tried to send. See the x at the end of their address? it just appears when I add it to the TO line?

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 18.17.13.png

BEF
Up to speed

I have just tried sending a test message to myself and the x appears on that too!

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 18.17.13.png

BEF
Up to speed

Oops this one not the last one....

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 18.30.17.png

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Selecting × removes the email address; it is not part of the email address. This can be confirmed by hovering pointer over × to see its purpose, as shown below:

2024-04-05.jpeg

BTW consider editing your previous posts and redacting your email address

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

BEF
Up to speed

When I spoke to SelectSpecs today, questioning this strange behaviour. They told me that they have been having this problem with other NTLWORLD emails and they suggested I get in touch with NTLWORLD and tell them that they are  "marking" emails as SPAM?

Hi 

But after removing it then typing the address in again, the x just appears again?

(thanks for the advice re- editing)

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@BEF  The x that you are seeing is simply part of the VM webmail functionality

It is nothing to do with emails being marked as spam.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Graham,

So why am I getting this x when I try to reply or send an email? It won't let me send anything...