cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web email reporting Forbidden

GWa
Joining in

I have an issue accessing Virgin Media e-mail from a web browser.

I can login to Virgin Media using a browser and see my account but when I click on the link for Virgin Media Mail (I have an @ntlworld.com type e-mail address) I get a web page

https://mail.virginmedia.com/appsuite/     which then immediately reports ‘Forbidden’

403 Forbidden (virginmedia.com)

I have tried different browsers and different machines.

I can read my mail via Outlook on my PC but I am not always at home so I occasionally want to access my mail using a browser from a PC that is not mine.

Any ideas on what the problem is and a possible solution?

Do Virgin Media need to take some action?

I have had this in the past but with no resolution.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi GWa, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

It sounds as though you've not yet set up the new multifactor authentication. Please log in to My Virgin Media here > Click on Account settings > Virgin Media Mail settings > scroll down to the App password section and click the Generate new App password button.

You should get a pop up message asking you to verify your email address and you'll need to use a 3rd party email address to continue. You'll be sent a one time passcode to enter on the next page to verify it's you. Once verified you'll then be given an app password which will look something similar to: mail-horse-yellow-panda and you should note this down.

This will cause any accounts set up on a client or app to fail. To get things working on those again, you will need to enter the new mail password with your Virgin Media email address in the settings. This will allow your emails to load again. In some cases, you may need to remove the email account from the mail client or app completely and re-set it up as fresh. Once again, please ensure you use your VM email address as the username and the newly generated app password.

These changes have been put in place as Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is now required. Just as a side note, when logging in to My VM, you will need to use the third party email address as the username and your original My VM password.

Please let me know how you get on and apologies for the inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath_F, Thanks for taking the time to reply. Your reply seems comprehenisve but (to me) a little worrying if anything goes wrong as it concerns access to my e-mail.  I can supply a 3rd party e-mail address. I am a little nervous in that I can use Outlook at the moment to access Virgin email from my PC.

Thus "you will need to enter the new mail password with your Virgin Media email address in the settings. This will allow your emails to load again. In some cases, you may need to remove the email account from the mail client or app completely and re-set it up as fresh." So I will need to modify my Outlook settings to use the new password but help my current ....@ntlworld.com as my username?  BUT if that does not work then I have to setup a new definition in Outlook using my @ntlworld.com as the username but with the new password.  (- which presumably means inputting port numbers, server names, etc)

But when I want to access my Virgin Media account (rather than e-mail) I use the 3rd party e-mail address but my current password rather than they newly generated one?

What error codes is it giving you?

You can also look at your Virgin emails from our website here  if you are using Outlook try not to mess around with any settings.

Is it just Outlook you are having some issue on?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?