cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin media to Mozilla Thunderbirds

Robbo8
Joining in

Hello I use Thunderbirds on my PC. I use Virgin media as my provider. Recently Virgin have started to force customers to include/use alternative emails and servers and I now am having to use a G mail email address, in conjunction with my virginmedia address. I'm a little confused by it all.

My current problem is. Mozilla Thunderbirds can send emails, but can't receive them. When I check the virgin website and emails, they are sending and receiving, but they are not arriving at Mozilla Thunderbirds.  So the problem is with the settings on Thinderbirds. I think

My error messages are.

"Sending of password for user (email address) did not succeed. Mail server pop3.virginmedia.com responded: [AUTH] Authentication failed.

I re-enter a password then get

"Login to server pop3.virginmedia.com with username  (email address) failed"

In put please. Robbo

7 REPLIES 7

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I use Thunderbird without problem have you putting the full Email address with @virginmedia.com

connection security SSL/TLS and authentication method normal?

note if you changed password for login you may need to login to my virgin media >Account settings > virgin media mail settings  to generate password 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Robbo8
Joining in

Yes, done all that. It's an ongoing issue.

gus0898uk
Dialled in

I am in the same boat.

VMCopperUser
Wise owl

Mine was failing a LOT yesterday.  It's worse than that in fact, the web emails and the imap emails were different (Sync Issue in VM?).  One phone wouldn't receive anything (would show up to date), One PC would connect about 50% of the time, Web was different again.  It's broken - staff must know and are just assuming it's user error thus it's never broken and hence they never have to admit they have seen any errors....  

So anyhow, It's crazy that they made an email account require a different email account to log in (You cant reset your password without setting up a new email account - another totally idiotic move, honestly I am being as nice as I can to say VM are Idiots).  I went through it yesterday and made a new Gmail account so I could log into VM, after changing passwords and resetting app passwords everything SEEMS to be Syncing again this morning (Though I know some things are still not showing up).  So just set up a new account with another provider and make those changes - You are going to need another email soon anyhow due to the fact that this service is not really reliable enough for important emails and VM wants to completely shutter the service.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

I decided today to jump ship from virgin emails and create an email account with G-Mail to synchronise with Mozilla. The problems I'm having is G-mail has an irritating "all mail" folder. A copy of everything. If you delete anything in that file, it deletes all copies on G-mail and Mozilla.

Also.. I like to create pass words on emails, then keep them stored on the email program in a Pass word folder. So I create a pass word in drafts, them move it to the created Pass word folder. G mail then keeps a copy in both. If you delete one or the other, it deletes both! It will also do this on both Mozilla and G-mail. Why?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Gmail doesn't use folders in the traditional way, it uses labels instead.  See this Gmail support page:  https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9260550?hl=en#:~:text=In%20other%20email%20programs%2C%20y....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Robbo8
Joining in

Hello, yes I managed to work that out. So it's proving a little problematic.

I have a Hotmail account which works really well with em client. Can anyone suggest another free, international email provider. I don't want to be tied to virgin and able to use it anywhere in the world?