cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

{Security} - Unable to Change passwords within accounts for primary or secondary emails

th3steg
Tuning in

I have an issue with both primary and secondary email accounts.

I am unable to set a password on either account to anything I want to use, unless I call VM customer support and they do it for me.

Now this has not always been the case, I have freely, and routinely been able to reset passwords within my accounts, but since the "hiccup" VM/O2 suffered with emails not so long about this has been a reality.

This is the issue,  If I log in with my known account, go to accounts, and click edit to change my password, I see the following:  "Verify it’s you First, we need you to change your sign in email address to one that isn't from Virgin Media. Then, when we send you a verification code in the next step, you'll able to access it from your alternative email address."

Clicking this takes me back to the main screen and the only option is to click "Edit" which in turn takes me back to the above, this is just a round-robin error, I can't get out of that loop.

If I try and change my security information, IE, "Password recovery question" by clicking Edit I also get taken to the above message and we start again in the loop.

If I go back to the start and click forgot password I am told " You can’t reset your password online right now, as you don’t have additional details set up on your account. To reset your password, please contact us  and one of our team will help you."

So, I am unable to change my passwords or update my security information and right now my only option is to call VM and tell them the password I want to use, which I have done, and they could not figure out the issue and said some one will look in to this.

Its been a couple of days now and I am now more concerned, that I can not change my passwords and the only password I can use is one that has been set by VM customer services which is less than ideal considering its a personal account.

So any ideas from the community support on this on what my next steps should/could be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@th3steg That is how it works now.  You need to use the third party email address as the username to sign into your Virgin Media email address.  Changing the username does not alter the underlying VM email address so there is no need for you to try changing the username back to the VM address.

It is all rather confusing but that is the way that VM have chosen to implement a two factor authentication system.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@th3steg  When you get thrown back to the account details page you need to click on edit to the right of email address in the sign in details section.  From there you need to set a non virgin media email address as your log in email address.  Once this has been done and verified you can go back to the password change section and proceed to change the password. A verification code will be sent to your non VM username email to complete the process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

th3steg
Tuning in

Thanks for your reply Graham,  but wish it was that simple.  That should be the process to allow me to add a "external" email address and then follow up with MFA/OF2 but it loops back to the original page continually.  

I do not get as far as to enter anything additional,  its stuck in this loop,  tried other browsers, and another PC is also still the same,  just wondering if anyone else is having the same issue and if so how to fix it

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can I confirm that having selected Edit (highlighted below) it looped back to the same page?
2023-08-12-c.jpeg

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Select Mark as Helpful Answer or 🖒 Kudos to say thanks

Morning 用心棒

That's the correct page, but it's the lower two Edits that are affected by the loop,  I am not trying to change the email which is the one you have highlighted if that makes sense.

I am prompted once I click the other two to supply a secondary email address but when I do it loops back to this page without giving any options to do so.

Thanks for your reply

Hey th3steg, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this email issue.

Can I just confirm you are able to send emails and receive them on boths accounts?

Also all the information is fully updated like the correct phone number?

If we can change it from our side this is a good sign however we know this is not ideal, have you tried a different browser and doing this in private mode to see if that works?

When did all this start, it could be a temporary issue which will get flushed out with the next update. Cheers 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@th3steg wrote:

Morning 用心棒

That's the correct page, but it's the lower two Edits that are affected by the loop,  I am not trying to change the email which is the one you have highlighted if that makes sense.

I am prompted once I click the other two to supply a secondary email address but when I do it loops back to this page without giving any options to do so.

When the lower two Edit options take you to the following page the expectation is that selecting Change email address will take you to the page to do that:
2023-08-12-a.jpeg
Regrettably it does not and you must make the change by selecting the previously highlighted Edit option to change your sign in email address.

FYI it may take a few minutes for the verification link to confirm change of sign in email address to arrive at your new sign in email address. Once you have selected the verification link to confirm the change use the new sign in email address when  signing into My Virgin Media or webmail and enter the one-time code it receives when prompted.

th3steg
Tuning in

Hi @mathew_L 

All accounts were and have been fine for some time without fault,  the issue came about when I wanted to change my password.   Nothing else had been changed so I can assume my security information was still the same.

Sadly,  I have followed the advice from 用心棒, and no disrespect to you as I am sure they may work for some, but this has now locked me out of my email entirely and I can not get my VirginMedia.com address back since changing it to an alternative for the MFA.

I've called VM now and tech support are going to look into this within the next 24 hours so I'll report back what happens.

Sorry to hear you are now completely logged out of your account @th3steg To best help, I have sent you a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. Let me know if you have any issues locating this. 

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Akua_A

I have replied to this message

Thank you