cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook not connecting to vm server

TW67
Joining in

So for some reason my outlook is not connecting to the virgin server.  I did change the password last week on my virgin media account and I thought I had changed it on my outlook as well.  After realising I hadn't received any emails in outlook for a week, I thought perhaps I hadn't and have tried to update it to the new password, but keep getting the message that something has gone gone and it won't connect.  As far as I can tell none of the other settings in outlook have been changed.  Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have recently changed the log in requirements for accessing VM Mail via third party apps.

If you change the password for the account in My Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details you will not be able to use the new password to access the account via an email client. Email client access now requires an app specific password which can be generated in the MyVM > Account Settings > Account details > Mailbox App password management

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just tried it and it doesn't work.  In fact, it's made it worse because i can no longer sign into MyVM.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In what way did it not work?  Did you manage to generate an app password?  In Outlook you will need to delete the account and then add it back again with the email address as the username and the generated password.

Your login details for My Virgin Media will be the third party username that you set together with your VM account password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

TW67
Joining in

So now I've to log into My VM using an email address that I can never remember because I never use it instead of my blueyonder one which I use for everything.  Makes perfect sense.

TW67
Joining in

Seems to be working now.