cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ntlworld.com email continual problems

graham23061
Tuning in

Can anyone explain what is happening to ntlworld.com emails. I have to phone up every other week now and complain. They are really slow, unresponsive and eventually just fall over and die. Is it a recurring server problem or is virgin just trying to pee customer’s off so they move elsewhere. Helpdesk is a waste of time on this. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@graham23061 wrote:

<snip> or is virgin just trying to pee customer’s off so they move elsewhere. <snip>

This seems to be a reasonable assumption (coupled with VM's requirement for customers to start using third party email addresses alongside VM email).

Consider using the endless hours, spent dealing with VM email problems, to start the process of migrating your email needs over to another service which has better reliability, better security and better features.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@graham23061 wrote:

<snip> or is virgin just trying to pee customer’s off so they move elsewhere. <snip>

This seems to be a reasonable assumption (coupled with VM's requirement for customers to start using third party email addresses alongside VM email).

Consider using the endless hours, spent dealing with VM email problems, to start the process of migrating your email needs over to another service which has better reliability, better security and better features.

steve3961uk
On our wavelength

I have had issues with my emails for 5 months now - change password because the system fails to send/receive or synchronise. Contacted VM today to be told that NTLWorld and Virginmedia are no longer supported and had to go to another email address. Not sure what is going on. I already had my user name and password to access account separate from VM as advised to do back in January. Do I now assume that my Ntl/virginmedia  email addresses are redundant. Holy sh.....t got to tell everyone I have had to change and set up all new address with bank, work, etc etc

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I made the decision about 2 years ago to move all my NTL mailboxes to elsewhere.  Yes it was a royal pain, but worth it in the long run.  My email is no longer tied to any ISP, so not worried about any sort of 90 day deadline etc. 

As I’ve been around these Forums for some time IMHO the writing is on the wall for email from VM?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply, do you know if there is any help (information / documentation) available from VM to assist with this. I have been on NTLworld.com since it started so it will be a big task. Any help would be appreciated. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Try this for backup and archiving VM emails

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

I have used it once in the past and it worked well.

I ditched VM email more than 10 years ago (after a particular incident when emails were taking days to arrive). The migration is best done over an extended period of time.

I started with the most important accounts (banking, main online shopping accounts etc. etc.) then gradually worked my way through the ones of lesser importance.

Look at your inbox for the last year and sort into senders names to build up a list if you need to.

It is worth migrating and checking over the course of a year, if possible, to mop up any accounts you might have forgotten about such as annual insurance renewals etc.

Once done, it is a relief to know that you are free of VM email and all its problems.

Hi...

Someone here may be able to advise you on your email issues... but what you were told about support (or lack of it) for ntlworld and virginmedia is not exactly correct. It is part of a script when the agent gets bored or just want to get rid of you. Last thing I have from VM is:-

"since May 2022 new VM customers are not given a Virgin email address. Existing broadband customers are not able to add new VM addresses since that date. VM said that existing customer email addresses would continue to be supported. 21 Feb 2024"

The level of "support" they might offer is a bit vague, but it is still there.... just about.

Advice from others re changing to another provider at some point is however, worth considering...

Tony_

Hey graham23061,  thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear about this.

What type of issues are you facing with your email?

What has been happening over the past few weeks?

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt, this has been happening intermittently for over a year but definitely worse over last 6 months. Mail being really slow. 10-15 mins to download a single item, even with no attachments. Mail down for 4-6 hours, sometimes a whole day! Sometimes loads the mail with error message saying content not downloaded from server. PhoneVM and can’t get past initial helper who wants to go thru usual setup problems. Takes hours and I don’t get anywhere. Usually it needs a server reboot or intervention at VM side then ok for a few weeks. If VM really serious about ditching mail, the should have a plan, help docs for transferring existing docs and mail and English speaking 1sr & 2nd line support staff to assist loyal VM customers over many years. Not happy with service or support or infrastructure. G

We have been aware of some issues with emails over the past couple of months, we would also advise to have a back up email with Gmail, Outlook etc.

With the slow speeds is this on WIFI, 3G, 4G or 5G?

Speeds will vary if you are using mobile data. 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?