cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a new app password

k10
Tuning in

I've been having trouble with my email accounts for literally months. 

I finally spoke to someone at Virgin Media last week (Jeff) who understands the problem and he was very helpful. But he got called away for a meeting. He said he would call the next day, but he didn't, and he hasn't been in touch since. To make matters worse, when I phone to ask to give him a message to call me they say it's 'impossible'!

I'm sure I could make some progress if I could only find out EXACTLY how to generate a new App password.

If anyone could give me the information in SIMPLE, EXACT STEPS I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@k10  The instructions can be found in this help page under the section 

How to set up my Virgin Media email on a device

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@k10  The instructions can be found in this help page under the section 

How to set up my Virgin Media email on a device

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/manage-email-account

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks, Graham. I generated a new password and used it for my Thunderbird account, which had stalled because I'd somehow messed things up.

I'm still a bit confused actually. Maybe you could help.

If I have a few secondary accounts and I'm using them on Thunderbird, I need to generate an app password for each one, is that right?

And if so I need to keep a list of them somewhere so I can get in again if I get locked out for some reason, right?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes to both.  Each secondary account will need a generated app password as well as a third party username.

Thanks, but I don't know what you mean my "a third party username".

Also, when I want to generate a new app password for one of the accounts, how do I specify which account the app password is for?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you need to change any account details you need to change the username to a third party email address in order verify the account.  See here for more details: https://www.virginmedia.com/dpb/help/change-my-virgin-media-email-address

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Each secondary account has its own My Virgin Media account so you need to be signed into the correct one in order to change passwords or other details.

k10
Tuning in

Thank you, Graham, you've cleared up a few things for me. Much appreciated! 

Another quick question, Graham:

Most of the accounts are fixed now (some were already okay), but there's one left. How do I specify the third party account that is needed? I've created a new gmail account just for this, but I don't know how it's supposed to be set up so I can use it for verification.