cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to retrieve/save/backup email accounts/folders/messages when leaving VirginMedia?

XEyedBear
On our wavelength

Having made the decision to switch to an alternative broadband supplier after more than 25 years with VirginMedia and its predecessors, I am wondering how I should best transfer all the folders and messages from the multiple accounts (with ntlworld.com and with virginmedia.com) I have. How should I package these such that I might be able to get my new service provider to make sense of them? Sone of the accounts I manage with Thunderbird as an email client; I know how to back them up, but I don't understand how to retrieve te message from my virginmedia.com accounts.

Any advice?

And is it true that I have 90 days after cancelling my contract with VM to transfer me emails? How does that work, bearing in mind that my WAN IP address will change?

4 REPLIES 4

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You have 90 days after the contract finishes. It may be longer, but don't rely on it. You will still be able to access the accounts with Thunderbird from any IP address. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi XEyedBear,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to our community.

We're sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving us.

If there's anything we can help with, please let us know 🙂

With regards to the email, this will be deleted up to 90 days after the broadband has been disconnected.

We would recommend to move any important mails prior to the broadband account closing to be sure nothing is lost. 

If you have any further questions, please pop back to us and we'd be happy to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

XEyedBear
On our wavelength

"If there's anything we can help with, please let us know"

Well, that was the point of my original post - but I guess my need wasn't clearly stated. I'll try again:

You said: "We would recommend to move any important mails prior to the broadband account closing..." - exactly how can such emails be moved?

I can find no function in the mail.virginmedia.com service that allows me to move or export emails. Right clicking on a selected email (or emails) presents me with a menu that offers (among other actions) to move or copy  the selected items - but this move or copy takes place only within mail.virginmedia.com. How can I export selected emails either to an intermediate (text ?) format or directly into another mail service?

Or, as I originally asked " am wondering how I should best transfer all the folders and messages from the multiple accounts (with ntlworld.com and with virginmedia.com) I have. How should I package these such that I might be able to get my new service provider to make sense of them? "

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Try this past topic using free software

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

If you are moving your past VM email accounts, do you really need to reinstate all of the historic material into the new accounts (using up your new email storage space)? You might be better just archiving some material to a local device using the above software and starting afresh with your new email accounts.