cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email not sending in Outlook

juvuk
On our wavelength

Hi all,

For the last few days my emails have just suddenly stopped sending. Receiving is fine, the web service works perfectly, it is just the outlook email that has stopped sending.

I have checked the smtp settings and everything is as it should be.

Any thoughts on what may have changed?

thanks, Justin 

12 REPLIES 12

-D
On our wavelength

No idea.  My emails stopped arriving in September but could still send them.  Still no idea why.

JCmacc
Up to speed

Lots of us have had this issue.

Web mail is fine but 3rd party Apps like Outlook won't send. I worked out that Outlook would send e-mails if I used data, so realised the issue was with my home wi-fi. Turns out my IP address was flagged and blocked. THis has happened a lot if you look at others on this board.

Try looking at the details of any error message when you try and send, it may state that the IP address is blocked.

The fix is as follows: 

• go to https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ :
  • select Email Sending Errors from drop down list
  • Other from drop down list
  • copy and paste the error message into  Log evidence field
  • enter your name into My name field
  • enter email address into Email address field
  • select Submit button

Hey juvuk,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post. I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your  email account at the moment.

Have you been able to follow the advice given by JCmacc and resolved your issues or do you need further assistance? 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

juvuk
On our wavelength

Hi,

i have tried everything but still nothing, i even uninstalled and reinstalled outlook and now it won't even let me log in, webmail still works perfectly

juvuk
On our wavelength

the error message I get is "the coonection to the outgoing (SMTP) server was dropped. Please check the outgoing (SMTP) server settings and try again.

The SMTP server settings are smtp.virginmedia.com, port 465, SSL on

Just to confirm - is your e-mail address a Virgin Media one and not a legacy Blue Yonder or NTL ?

juvuk
On our wavelength

it is a blueyonder address

Strongly suggest you try the below as it's the only thing that's fixed issues for many of us. It does seem to impact NTL and Blueyonder accounts.

• go to https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ :
  • select Email Sending Errors from drop down list
  • Other from drop down list
  • copy and paste the error message into  Log evidence field
  • enter your name into My name field
  • enter email address into Email address field
  • select Submit button

juvuk
On our wavelength

hi, yes i did do this but no difference