cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email issues - confused!

Pricey1969
Tuning in

I've recently started receiving emails from what appear to be my contacts but the email addresses behind them are incorrect so I decided to change my VM email password just in case however that as lead to some issues:

1. when I view my account settings on the VM email web app my primary account has two emails next to it, both in red, one of which I recognise and one that I don't, is this normal? Additionally, I have two secondary emails that I do recognise. See screen shot of primary account:image.png
  2. I can send/receive emails on my primary account (xx@blueyonder.co.uk) via the VM email web app but not in other email clients (Apple mail on Mac/iPhone)
  3. I can send and receive emails on my secondary account (xx@virginmedia.com) via my email clients (Apple mail on Mac/iPhone) but not via the VM email web app and I get this error message:image.pngScreenshot 2024-03-24 at 13.24.20.png

Any advice on what I've done/doing wrong?

Cheers

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pricey1969 

Taking each of the issues in turn:

"VM email web app my primary account has two emails next to it, both in red, one of which I recognise and one that I don't, is this normal?"

No its not normal but I think the explanation is that the second Blueyonder address is an alias of your primary account

When Blueyonder email accounts were issued it was possible to set up alias addresses for each account. Those aliases were not separate email accounts, an alias address is just another way of referring to the parent mailbox. I'm thinking that this second address was set up way back soon after your broadband account was opened but was probably never used. Does that ring any bells?

"can send/receive emails on my primary account (xx@blueyonder.co.uk) via the VM email web app but not in other email clients (Apple mail on Mac/iPhone)"

You say that you recently changed the password for your primary account but did you also generate a mail app password? That's something VM introduced a few months ago to beef up the security on VM email accounts when you use an email client or app. The mail app password has to be used in email clients instead of the one you use for webmail.

To generate a mail app password:

• sign into the My Virgin Media account for this email account
  • go to Account settings
  • then go to Account details
  • then scroll all the way down to Virgin Media Mail and you will see Mailbox App password management
  • Then click on Manage  to the right of Manage your Virgin Media Mail App Password

That will generate a unique password which you will have to use to replace the current password for that email account in the settings of your apps and clients.

"can send and receive emails on my secondary account (xx@virginmedia.com) via my email clients (Apple mail on Mac/iPhone) but not via the VM email web app and I get this error message:"

I assume that virginmedia.com email account has been added to your VM webmail account so you are accessing that email account at the same time as your Primary email account?

If that is the case, VM webmail uses the same IMAP or POP3 protocol to access that  Virginmedia.com account as email apps and clients. If your email clients and apps can access that account it would seem that you are already using a mail app password for that account in those apps. If that is the case you just need to edit the settings in VM webmail and enter the same password that you are using in you email apps. To do that:

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 13.24.20.png

• click on edit to the right of that address and  update the password field in the settings.

Just to finish off. I have made some assumptions but based on what you have posted (the screen shots are very helpful by the way) the above information should at least point you in the right direction.

I hope it helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pricey1969 

Taking each of the issues in turn:

"VM email web app my primary account has two emails next to it, both in red, one of which I recognise and one that I don't, is this normal?"

No its not normal but I think the explanation is that the second Blueyonder address is an alias of your primary account

When Blueyonder email accounts were issued it was possible to set up alias addresses for each account. Those aliases were not separate email accounts, an alias address is just another way of referring to the parent mailbox. I'm thinking that this second address was set up way back soon after your broadband account was opened but was probably never used. Does that ring any bells?

"can send/receive emails on my primary account (xx@blueyonder.co.uk) via the VM email web app but not in other email clients (Apple mail on Mac/iPhone)"

You say that you recently changed the password for your primary account but did you also generate a mail app password? That's something VM introduced a few months ago to beef up the security on VM email accounts when you use an email client or app. The mail app password has to be used in email clients instead of the one you use for webmail.

To generate a mail app password:

• sign into the My Virgin Media account for this email account
  • go to Account settings
  • then go to Account details
  • then scroll all the way down to Virgin Media Mail and you will see Mailbox App password management
  • Then click on Manage  to the right of Manage your Virgin Media Mail App Password

That will generate a unique password which you will have to use to replace the current password for that email account in the settings of your apps and clients.

"can send and receive emails on my secondary account (xx@virginmedia.com) via my email clients (Apple mail on Mac/iPhone) but not via the VM email web app and I get this error message:"

I assume that virginmedia.com email account has been added to your VM webmail account so you are accessing that email account at the same time as your Primary email account?

If that is the case, VM webmail uses the same IMAP or POP3 protocol to access that  Virginmedia.com account as email apps and clients. If your email clients and apps can access that account it would seem that you are already using a mail app password for that account in those apps. If that is the case you just need to edit the settings in VM webmail and enter the same password that you are using in you email apps. To do that:

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 13.24.20.png

• click on edit to the right of that address and  update the password field in the settings.

Just to finish off. I have made some assumptions but based on what you have posted (the screen shots are very helpful by the way) the above information should at least point you in the right direction.

I hope it helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Pricey1969
Tuning in

coenoby thank you, I've updated my mail clients with the app password and that worked. 

I also think you're correct about the email alias, that blueyonder address is quite old!

Cheers

G

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pricey1969 

"I've updated my mail clients with the app password and that worked."

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that worked.

Regarding the alias address. You can confirm that it's an alias for your primary Blueyonder account by sending a test email message to the alias address from your Virginmedia.com email account.

f the mystery address is an alias it will arrive in your primary Blueyonder account. That's the way alias addresses work.

Coenoby

Sent an email from alias as suggested and yes it arrived in my primary account.👍

Cheers

Gary